SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceg8

My fall project

aliceg8
16 years ago

Since itÂs so quiet (on the board that is), I thought IÂd post pictures of my new lasagna garden. We put this in on the west side of our front yard, along the property line from backyard fence to sidewalk. This was a no manÂs land that Steve hated to mow, as there were 5 shrubs a couple of feet out from the property line, so he had to mow between and around.

We did the lasagna with the first layer newspaper than leaves, then horse manure, more leaves (but these mixed with grass) and coffee grounds. So IÂm crossing my fingers that weÂll have some nice soil next year. Steve wants to plant his herbs in this area, and I (of course) have a few things I could plant!

First the before pictures.

The current shrubs are (near to far) a small pink lilac (which we were unimpressed with  it will have to do better next year or be yanked); burning bush; lavender lilac; burning bush and spirea. The spirea is the little shrub behind my butt. ItÂs really cute, but quite hidden here. I have been wondering about transplanting it. Foolhardy? You can also see that the edge of the neighbors property has some lilacs. These are actually nicer specimens than mine, and a dark purple. So thatÂs nice background. Their front yard is almost all zeriscape and has some lovely plants.

The second picture shows the backyard fence.

I already have a Clematis Huldine overwintering in a pot thatÂs going to go along the backyard fence. IÂd like to add a climbing rose on the fence next to it.

The garden to the right of me in the second picture is the little perennial garden I put in this year. Before this was a two foot strip of irises of which few were blooming. I took those irises out, expanded the garden to a half moon, replanted some of the irises, a lot of little perennials from Bluestone, stuff I got from the fall swap and a Harlequin honeysuckle. I also have a Jackmanii clematis for the wall of the garage you see there. At some point in the future, I may put something in right about where Chance and I are standing between the crabapple and the pine, so that the area behind it will be even more enclosed. Since we first moved in IÂve thought of this area being my "secret garden".

A couple of in progress pictures including a close up of the spirea. Such pretty fall colors. And it had lovely little pink flowers against very light green foliage.

And now the finished product. Not much to say, but I really love the shape of the garden and all in all am very pleased with how itÂs turned out so far.

Comments (12)