SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Fourth of July - What's Blooming?

Now that Memorial Day is a distant memory, it's time to see how our gardens have changed as summer roars in(or stumbles, as the season progresses).

My coastal garden is now heavy on roses and Phlox maculata - a thug I treasure, partly because it's too much trouble to beat it back, but also because the hummingbirds and I like it.

This is part of the front yard where Knockout and rugosa roses have supplanted the peony and iris blooms of Memorial Day.

To the left is a bed above a stone retaining wall where Hydrangea Blue Billow and Hostal Blue Angel now dominate. Itea virginica is almost finished but some small dicentras still bloom.

Rose Zepherine Drouhin is blooming sporadically now on the trellis by the porch.

On the other side of the house where the path goes to the back, is the remnant of my rose arch which blew over in a storm last year. The two Dorothy Perkins roses are quite happy without the arch and will be carefully threaded through a new trellis arrangement as they grow. The ubiquitous phlox abounds and is being challenged by another happy thug, probably Adenophora, which may prove a worthy opponent.

There's also a blue Platycodon tucked in with the phlox and adenophora.

I also have daylilies, monarda Jacob Kline in bloom and the shasta daisies are starting up. Some lily buds are present but not yet open.

What do you have in bloom now this fine Fourth of July week, or thereabouts?

Claire

Comments (13)