SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Today's Fire Danger the Worst Yet::EXTREME

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Today's fire danger is the highest category possible by NWS classification: Extreme....and not even "Very High to Extreme" as it often is on very windy spring days, but just plain old Extreme. This is the same classification we had last year on that bad wildfire day in April when many areas across the state fought massive wildfires but the winds will be mostly in the 20s and 30s, and not blowing at speeds in the 40s-50s and higher like we had that day.

A Red Flag Fire Warning has been issued for many counties west of I-35 and it is in effect from noon to 9 p.m. Remember that a Red Flag Fire Warning can be suddenly expanded to cover other counties, as it was yesterday about the same time the large wildfire broke out in eastern Oklahoma County.

The humidity in the Red Flag area will drop to a very low 8% to 20%. Any humidity below 30% is dangerous in terms of fire weather, and any humidity below 15% is extremely dangerous.

You can see the Red Flag Fire Warning area on the linked NWS page.

Remember that this kind of heat (some areas may hit 90 degrees) and wind combination can harm and even kill young seedlings that are being hardened off outdoors, or which were recently transplanted into the ground.

If you notice plants have darkened, wrinkled/wilted edges on the leaves these areas are caused by windburn and you need to immediately move those plants out of the wind. Sometimes misting those plants will help minimize the damage.

Hang on a couple more days, y'all, and relief is coming in the form of cooler temperatures and rain in a couple more days.

I was hoping to transplant broccoli plants today, but am not sure I'll do that in this weather....may wait until tomorrow.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Norman Office Enhanced Forecast Page

Comments (2)