SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Very High to Extreme Fire Danger Friday

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

While looking at the NWS Enhanced Weather page yesterday and today, I noticed that most of the state will be under very high to extreme fire danger later this week.

While it is easy to think that this sort of "event" won't affect any of us, I always keep a wary eye on the weather because I know how quickly wildfire can sweep across people's property, especially when it is driven by late winter and early spring's high winds.

This past weekend, several very large and dangerous wildfires occurred in northwestern OK and some firefighters were injured fighting one of those fires. I know at least one home and some outbuildings were lost in those fires. At night, when I logged onto the NWS Norman office's webpage at night, you could see the "heat signature" from these fires in several counties even at 7 or 8 p.m.

Almost 40 counties now have burn bans. Unfortunately, some southern counties (including my own) that have had burn bans in place for weeks or months have lifted them "temporarily", a decision I think they'll regret. Recently, a Texas county across the river from us lifted their burn ban "temporarily" and, after 24 grassfires/wild fires in 7 days, quickly reinstated it.

So, on the high fire danger days, I'll have my sprinklers set up in a perimeter around the house so I can turn them on to protect the landscape and house if wildfire threatens.

Please take the fire danger warnings seriously. We are going into the worst part of the Oklahoma fire season. My son has been saying for months "February is when it really starts", and here we are....and it has started, at least in NW OK.

Dawb

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Norman Office Webpage

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional