SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanne_gw

upright japanese red maple unhealthy

Hanne
17 years ago

I have two upright japanese red maples, I think they are called 'Bloodgood'. Many of our neighbours have the same. And many of the threes, including one of mine, are having the same problems. Some of the branches had no leaves this year and the others looked good for a few weeks and are now drying out. My other tree is lush and beatiful but also had two small branches without foliage which I removed.

I wonder if this is just the weather and the trees are going to recover next year and if there is anything that can be done to help them out.We have had extreme rain, and weird changes in temperature, in late winter and this spring

The sick tree has also a vertical split near the ground which is a couple of inches wide in its widest part and always has lost its leaves earlier than the other one. It has been like that for years but I wonder if it has anything to do with the problem. It may be a problem of excess of water since the sick tree is near the septic field and the other is not.

Should I wait and see what happens next year or remove completely the branches that did not have any leaves this year?

It would be a shame to loose this tree and I'll appreciate any help I can get.

Comments (2)