SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

need advice on varieties of japanese maples

lynbornman
16 years ago

Ok..I posted on the tree forum because I had no idea there was a maple forum. Now I'm very intimidated because I've heard you guys are experts in japanese maples. So let me start by saying I am just starting to sort through this idea and I don't mean to sound like an idiot. My husband and I are going to build a berm in our front yard (irregular shape, 2-3 feet high in center, approximately 18 x 30 feet). The berm is going to be off to the side but in our front yard. From the picture below, basically 10 feet back from where the cameraman is standing is where it will go. And that entire border not seen is woods. I know its a sunny location right now, but the berm will have 3 norway spruce (approximately 8-10feet), a pondless waterfall with possibly a weeping evergreen behind it, several boulders, smaller evergreen and deciduous shrubs and for color, we want to add 2-3 japanese maples. I like the idea of a red taller JM near the top of the berm and coming down the slope a green JM. I prefer the layered branching look and I don't know if thats a species thing or a pruning thing, but I don't want a big upright tree out there. The other thought was to do a layering of 3 JM. More upright red at top, middle a layered branching green JM and bottom of berm a mounding smaller red JM. Sorry I don't know the terminology well. Hopefully I at least got my point across. I saw a ton of bloodgood at the local nursery but in looking at pictures on google, its looks pretty upright and decent size so I'm not sure its the right one for us. I would like to get a more established tree so mail/internet order is not really an option (i.e. needs to be a variety that I can get locally). Any advice at all would be appreciated and if you think the entire idea is nuts or would not work please let me know that too. We are only comitted to the idea of a berm. Everything else is in the drawing stages.

Picture below is sort of where berm will be (more open grass area behind camera). Thanks, Lyn

{{gwi:1038550}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored