SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Planting in late July, early August ...

estreya
16 years ago

Hello, everyone ...

I know planting in summer heat is taboo. Plant in Spring and Fall, they say, and i wouldn't presume to question the general wisdom of that truth. However, things completely got away from me this year (as they so often do), and i have a number of potted fruit trees, not yet fruit bearing, that i'd like to plant out in the field within the next two weeks. In doing so, would i be dooming these trees to failure?

I'm getting so much conflicting information that it's literally making my heart ache.

A few people on the fruit tree forum have advocated waiting.

Internet research is a bit mixed, with one article in particular mentioning the distinction between "planting" and "transplanting," and actually saying that as long as a plant isn't shocked by the "digging up," it should be planted at the earliest possible time before winter sets in so it can establish before the frost.

The folks at the nurseries say it's fine to plant in our Pacific Northwest summers, so long as i pay close attention to watering.

I'm going to call the extension office tomorrow when they open.

I just don't know. These trees represent a huge financial investment, but also an emotional one as well! I really want to give them the best possible start in my field ...

Any thoughts?

Comments (24)