SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

My most beautiful work of art is my garden' Monet, to his stepson

runktrun
11 years ago

One of my big apple daughters treated me to a belated Mothers Day at the NY Botanical Garden that was and continues to exhibit "Monet's Garden" through October 21st. Never having visited NYBG I wasn't quite sure what to expect. As we entered through one of the many gates we reaffirmed with each other that we would go directly to the glass conservatory to spend the bulk of our time at the exhibit and then meander from there. Well we literally weren't five feet through the gate when it was clear that plan wasn't going to work as there were too many garden paths of distraction on the way to the Monet exhibit. The exhibit is housed in a grand glass greenhouse and is a decedent display of perennials all in bloom although much to my disappointment many had been forced or their blooms were delayed. The water lilies were nice but didn't hold a candle to what can be seen at Longwood Gardens.

My daughter and I were both impressed by the grandiose display of perennials but to be honest we found the connection to Monet/art was lacking and the over all purpose of the exhibit disappointing.

The Botanical Garden itself was a real jewel and I look forward to returning through the different seasons.

Have you been to NYBG and or the Monet Exhibit? What did you think?

"Impressionist painters often placed strong colors side by side on the canvas rather than blending them. Monet applied the same principile in the arrangement of his flowers in various parts of his gardens."

"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers." Monet , in a letter to Paul Durand-Ruel 1890

"Monet was an avid reader of gardening magazines and often sent home seeds or plants he admired during his travels. He was aware of landscape design trends, from new hybrids to recent imports, and incorprated them into his gardens."

Isoplexis canariensis Canary Island floxglove

"Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, Monet began to paint the plants and gardens in Giverny almost exclusively, no longer portraying recognizable French sites."

Here is a link that might be useful: The New York Botanical Garden

Comments (3)