SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Seeking Hosta Monument Circle or Tom's Dream - In Memory

ademink
17 years ago

I run a nonprofit for the homeless and have been an outreach worker for many years. My interest in working with the homeless was divinely piqued with a man named Tom that I met almost 12 years ago on Monument Circle in Indianapolis. He and I became fast friends and had lunch together every weekday. Tom had severe mental illness and so was unable to "keep it together" enough to function in every day life as we know it. He was precious to me in words that I cannot describe - truly like a gift from Heaven.

In the last 6-7 years, Tom developed cancer on his face that became very severe. Because of his fear of many things, he would not seek treatment. He eventually wore a painters mask all of the time to hide it and became a very "famous" face in Indianapolis.

My sweet friend passed away at the end of August, just 6 days before his 61st birthday. I miss him beyond words but am glad that he finally is at peace.

My interaction with Tom was the catalyst in moving me toward starting the nonprofit and working in the field that I do today. Regular outreach times are held two nights a week on the Circle - the same place I met him. :)

In his memory, I would like to plant 'Monument Circle' hosta. If I can't find that one then I'd like to find 'Tom's Dream' but MC is the one I really am looking for.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing a moment with me to honor my precious friend.

Andrea

Comments (18)