SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

A garden creation to ponder on a wintry January day (long)

sherryocala
16 years ago

At about the halfway point in my front yard conversion to front rose garden I think it's time to share the joy of seeing

a garden during its creation. Notice I did not not say "under construction". I have grown into a more poetic self.

Realism was painful; lyricism is where I'm at now. (I like this definition: overflowing with eager enjoyment or

approval. Yes!)

As things sometimes happen, the central characteristic of the garden - a circle - came out of the blue from a tiny

thumbnail in a Google search that when enlarged turned out to be not what I thought it was, but the idea it planted

in my mind was nonetheless perfect. The problem: how to place LOTS of roses in a small front yard beautifully. For

months my creativity was stopped dead, frozen in fear of failure until that tiny thumbnail. That spark of creation

infused me with excitement, joy, anticipation and confidence. I knew this was the perfect plan. I would have to

eliminate most of the grass in the front yard, except for the 22' diameter circle, leaving a 5' wide bed on each side

and an arbor at the top of the circle toward the house and a small (about 24' deep) "strolling cul de sac" along the

sidewalk bed. A perfect spot for a garden fountain someday.

{{gwi:224396}}

Perfection notwithstanding, there was still the knowledge that my very bold plan would be a monumental task for

one 57-year-old arthritic woman, but every journey starts with a single step so with shovel in hand I stepped out into

the unknown on October 28, 2007.

A circular bed already existed so some of it had to be filled with transplanted grass to complete the new circle of

grass.

{{gwi:224397}}

The remaining grass around the new circle from property line to driveway had to be killed. Dare I kill it ALL, making

my front yard an eyesore? Would it be better done in stages? Once I got the Round-Up in the sprayer my fear of it

passed so I forged ahead (waiting many times for the breeze to stop.) A week later it was the color of straw and set

off the circle nicely.

{{gwi:224398}}

My front yard soil is nothing more than contractor's sand - fill on top of hardpacked limestone-type soil that looks like

grayish, powdery sand. Early on I planned to obtain wood chips and let them compost the dead grass, but the

tree-cutting companies are short of work and so, short of chips. At this point my DH found a local lady who was

giving away horse manure compost. So far I've gotten 4 pick-up loads. With the availability of good compost fill, I

set out to remove the top shovelful of sand from the beds. Roughly 200 square feet by 6" deep of sand had to be

moved by wheelbarrow to the backyard which fortunately needed it.

{{gwi:224399}}

Doing the bed along the driveway and sidewalk has taken 2 months of Saturdays and Sundays, six hours a day.

That was my "painful realism" stage. Realizing that it was going to be a long time before I got to the bed on the

other side of the circle, I decided to put a load of compost on top of the dead grass and let time work for me.

Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to work on that side, the dead grass will be well rotted, and I will only have to turn it

over. That may require some edging blocks to hold in the extra soil. Haven't thought that far ahead.

So here are some shots as of today.

{{gwi:224400}}

{{gwi:224401}}

{{gwi:224402}}

{{gwi:224403}}

{{gwi:224404}}

{{gwi:224405}}

{{gwi:224406}}

{{gwi:224407}}

The choices of roses that Florida has allowed me are limited. They must either be on Fortuniana rootstock or Chinas

and their closest relatives. The nematodes in our sand shorten the lifespan of other roses dramatically and reduce

their vitality. But nematodes don't like organic matter or concrete, so hopefully those two things will mitigate the risk

for roses like the Maries and Grusses and HMs and old HTs. My selections were also limited by expected plant size,

disease resistance and fragrance. If at all possible, I wanted my garden to be one that wafted fragrance. Searches

for small, fragrant and fungus resistant roses gave me plants that I think will fill the bill.

As to size, I wanted short roses along the driveway and sidewalk so that the entry would not be hidden and

overwhelmed. So from the street up the driveway first comes Marie Pavie', Marie Daley, Purpurea (China), three

Hermosas in a tight grouping at the corner of the sidewalk, Iceberg on Fort. (an impulse purchase - don't often see

Fortuniana rootstock at Lowes for $11.87), Jean Bach Sisley, and Don Juan on Fort. on the arbor. Turning the

corner toward the front door are Marie Pavie', Marie Daley, four Gruss an Aachens alternating Pink and Original,

and finally the climber Parade to go up the front porch post and rail. Back at the driveway at the corner of the

garage is Madame Caroline Testout. She will have a nice pergola that will extend about halfway across the left side

of the garage. These roses, except for Parade who was supposed to go in the ground today had it not rained, are all

planted and budding. I'm so happy! Pink, maroon and yellow daylillies are scattered amongst the roses along with

Elephant Garlic and for the winter season Dianthus and African Daisy.

Between the cul de sac and the porch will be Bubble Bath with the fountain right in front of him, left to arch as he

chooses in that 7x7 spot. On the other side of the circle will be another Don Juan on Fortuniana on the other side of

the arbor, then Arcadia Louisiana Tea, moving around, Monsieur Tillier, Marie d'Orleans, and LaSylphide nearest

the street. On the street on both sides are 6' deep beds with Liriope and Daylillies in them.

My plan for the space between the sidewalk and the garage (about 15" wide) is to grow Pleasant Hill Cemetary

Noisette on a trellis that will cover the whole garage wall. Your opinions are needed as to whether this is doable. I

will replace the sand naturally with compost, and I'm sure the roots will run under the concrete some but mainly

along the length of the garage. Do you think the plant will like this position? BTW, this wall faces west and will have

sun from 12pm almost till sundown.

Under the trees the plan is to have Pinky Winky, a red and pink Paniculata Hydrangea, and was to have azaleas on

the edge of the cul de sac. But I have decided to take them out and put a few shade tolerant roses there - maybe

Country Dancer but probably more Grusses. I have fallen so in love with the flowers and fragrance of GaA that I'm

also thinking of planting a couple of them on the edge of the circle on the big tea side with the teas set back a little,

figuring the Grusses between the teas would hide their naked legs and give that side the voluptuous look that I

want.

Originally, I had planned to put a trellis across the end of the porch and grow a climber on it, but I'm getting more

shade there from my trees and the neighbor's so I'm not sure what to do until I see how much sun I have when it

shifts north. I have a rose order coming in March - Ley's Perpetual, Chromatella, Reve d'Or and Noella Nabonnand.

Also, I am about to pull the trigger on an order from Roses Unlimited for Duchesse d'Auerstadt, Bouquet d'Or or

Kaiserin Friedrich. (Pleasant Hill Cemetary would be in this order.) Maybe one of them would be right for that spot.

The trellis would be square and would be the size of that side of the porch.

So this is my rose garden. I'm so excited to be this far. Hopefully, you have found it interesting, and I would love to

get your thoughts.

Sherry

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting