SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Garden scents

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
14 years ago

While reading the "ID'ing a tree/shrub" thread it struck me how personal the appeal of individual fragrances are. I have learned the hard way that if a plant is advertised as scented that I'd best find a plant to visit before laying down cash. I find the Russian & autumn olives unappealing, but also am not fond of Daphne 'Carol Mackie' or Narcissus 'Thalia,' both of which are frequently listed as fragrant plants. Lilacs makes me sneeze, so we plant them downwind of the house so DH can walk over to enjoy them while I can avoid them. Mown grass is another scent that most people seem to find appealing, but I avoid whenever possible due to allergies.

On the appealing side of my sense of scents, I first was introduced to Burkwood or Carlesii Viburnum by following my nose to the shrubs at the Denver Botanic Garden, and I am currently enjoying some balsam poplars planted near a walkway I use on the way to work. It took me the longest time to figure out where the lovely scent was coming from since the emerging leaves give off the scent, not flowers. It's been lightly perfuming the air for at least a month, and I find it lovely. Lavender & roses, and vanilla-type scents like Nicotiana are other favorites. I also love the smell of culinary herbs like rosemary & basil.

What garden fragrances appeal to your nose, and what plant scents do you try to avoid?

Comments (16)