SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Very Fragrant flowers wanted

irish_rose_grower
18 years ago

I'm adding very fragrant flowers to my garden this year.

I'm growing from seed:

4 o'clocks

nicotiania

fragrant petunias

sweet peas

Any others that I should consider? I'm going to be ordering seeds from Select and Fragrant Garden Scent

Thanks

Maureen

Comments (12)

• bev_w
    18 years ago

In zone 7 you could try Moonflower Vine (Ipomoea Alba)-- huge white fragrant blooms that open in the evening. They bloom quite late in the season, but they're worth the wait.

I put in a Caryopteris ("Bluebeard") last year and was pleasantly surprised by the licorice-type scent. The scent lasted even after the blooms fell. This shrubby perennial is not fussy and, even though it is in the mint family, it is very well-behaved in my yard.

This year I am growing Mignonette and Queen Anne's Pocket Melon. The Mignonette isn't much to look at, but the scent is very strong. The "Pocket Melon" fruit is highly fragrant.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Make sure you get a species Nicotiana, the small coloured hybrids have little scent. There are strongly scented petunias, but many of those sold as scented are quite poor. Look for the species, which have quite a lax trailing habit and small white flowers, they are strongly scented. Moonflowers for something a bit different. Night-scented stock are some of the most fragrant herbaceous plants.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

You might want to order (or look at the catalog) from 'The Fragrant Path'. This small seed seller has many old fashioned fragrant plants listed in its catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fragrant Path Catalog (Seeds) - Garden Watchdog

• tabassam
    18 years ago

I second moonflower vine. The fragrance starts near sunset and the flowers are so luminous. Fairly mid or late summer bloomer. Loved it.

• ridgetop01 (zone 5b)
    18 years ago

Heliotrope should definitely be on your list. It has the most amazing vanilla fragrance. 'Marine' is a lovely dark purple.

One plant that may be an aquired taste is the perennial salvia. They smell like cat pee, sometimes, but on a hot summer midday it's a very evocative scent - call me really weird! Plus, they are pretty and reliable.

Violets - you have to get down to stick your nose in them, but they are adorable anyway, and such a classic nosegay item!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

If you want fragrance, go for perennials, bulbs, and shrubs. My favorites are lily of the valley, roses, lilacs, mock orange, hosta honey bells, tuberose, agastache apache sunset, dianthus superbus, viola odorata, nicotiana alata (nighttime only), snapdragons, white heliotrope, oriental lilies.

• tucker303
    18 years ago

Amen to tuberose! And Night Blooming Jessamine!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Tiger eyes viola was fragrant.

• princesskatja
    18 years ago

Datura - "Belle Blanche" and others
    Brugmansia
    Heliotrope - definitely
    Dianthus family - pinks, sweet william, carnations, etc.
    Stocks - "regular" and evening scented
    Lillies
    Sweet alyssum
    tuberose - definitely
    Nicotiana - the "jasmine" (alata?) variety will make you swoon in the evening
    Violets are very sweet but can be invasive

This year I'm trying some stuff from Select Seeds that I hope I like and is supposed to be fragrant:
    Schizopetalon 'Milky Way'
    Sweet Rocket
    Mignonette

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much for all of these great suggestions. I am having lots of fun looking these suggestions up. I am definitely going to get:

Nicotiana (alata), heliotrope, snapdragons, fragrant petunias, sweet allysum, tuberose and some others. Oh and definitely moonflower vine.

Maureen

• princesskatja
    18 years ago

Oh! Make sure Moonflower Vine is an ANNUAL in your area or plant it in a pot. I had it running rampant in my yard in P.T., WA and it was absolutely horrible! It spread by the roots and if you rototilled it... oh boy. Perhaps others can advise but I am fairly certain that's what it was. Big white flower, heart shaped leaves, etc.

• lam702
    18 years ago

I noticed tuberoses listed above. I see them in catalogs, and would love to grow them. But, I thought they were mainly a plant for the south. Do you grow them in the north? I would love to try them if they can grow in NY. How long from planting to bloom? What kind of care do they need ? Obviously, they must be dug before frost, but do we have enough frost free weather here for them? (about 4-4 1/2 months) Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!