SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovesummer1

Need tree ideas for deck privacy screen

Penelope
15 years ago

I have a 14' wide deck on the south side of my house. The house next door is rather close, and we're planning to plant two or three trees to serve as privacy screening and to provide shade next to the deck. Because there's not much room to the property line, the arborist is suggesting fairly columnar trees. I don't like arborvitae, and would prefer something deciduous. I'd like something with as much year-round interest as possible, but which wouldn't drop messy fruit or squishy, pulpy blossoms on the deck. Light blossoms that just blow away would be OK. We'd obviously prefer something disease and damage resistant and that doesn't require too much pruning to maintain a nice shape. I've considered flowering cherry or plum trees, or possibly red maple. I like paperbark maple and fringe trees but the arborist doesn't think we could get specimens big enough, or which would grow fast enough, for the primary purpose of privacy screening. I prefer something with a mature size of maybe 20 feet.

There are both too many choices, and few that seem just right. Help!

Comments (6)