SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk000313

Privacy screen tree ideas & progress

Alexander SE Michigan - Zone 5b
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought a house last year, and earlier this spring it was my goal to add a few trees for privacy. My most important task was creating a privacy screen (in time) on the south side of my house to block out some loud neighbors.

I had two 10' Black Hills Spruce and a 6' Celestial Shadow Dogwood planted on the south side of the house. On the north I had one Black Hills Spruce and a clump of whitespire birch. All of this cost me about $1800, and that maxed my budget out at the time. It is a good start, but I would like to add more next spring. Hopefully not spending another $1800. I need some ideas!

On the south side, I planted about 20' away from the house and spaced the trees about 15' apart, knowing it will take several years to fill in. But I am getting impatient, and thinking about adding something right next to the patio. Some 8' emerald green arborvitae might do the trick. I REALLY want to block out that neighbor.

On the north side, a solid screen isn't that important to me. Those neighbors are not annoying, I just would like to block the street a bit.

At the back of the property line, I would like to add something that just looks natural, to fill in the wooded area a bit. Evergreens are preferable, as in the winter there is barely any cover and I can see the people behind me. These will get very little light, I want to plant them as far back as I can, under the canopy.

ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

Comments (11)