SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How close to house to plant kousa?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I just bought a kousa about 4ft tall at local garden club sale. Lady who grew it said it was 5 yrs old. We have *full* sun, I want to plant it near corner of porch to give some shade to porch (will eventually have to move roses and carpet cypress). It's a wicked slope that we had planted carpet cypress, a Shasta daisy and just recently, wintercreeper on to try to stop erosion. Not much topsoil here on top of boulders and rocky fill (a bit more farther out on the lawn, practically none near the boulders). The cypress has crowded over the past 2 years since I put them in, should I plant the dogwood where I'm taking out the middle cypress here, move the cypress out onto the slope where DH dug the hole this w/e, or should we put the dogwood in that hole? We're extending the bed out onto the lawn since we can't get grass to grow there and even if we did it's hard to mow the slope. Not sure how quickly kousa grows, and how it would do on the slope (even sunnier), but DH is leery of planting trees too close to house. Thanks

Here's the front of the house for reference (ignore the half-built stone walls)

{{gwi:1073102}}

Here's the sloped end - you can see where we originally had symmetrical beds and stone border, I just pulled the stone out another 5 ft trying to do something with the slope this w/e. This pic and the following ones were taken at 11:30am today so you can see how much sun we get.

Here's the hole DH dug to move the cypress to, until I said "wait, maybe we should put a tree there" on Mother's Day

You can see how steep it is in this pic

And yet one more view of the problem area (bucket is over a Cherish rose that just started to leaf out, we've had freeze warnings the past couple of nights, another one tonight).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (17)