SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tufgut

Is Hyacinth the Perfect Plant?

martinp
17 years ago

I've noticed that the slugs go after my primroses and crocuses here in Salem, Oregon, but they seem to stay away from my hyacinths. Also, the hyacinth has such a nice smell! I can't think of any problems with hyacinth, so I think that they might be my favorite flower. Is there something bad about hyacinths that I haven't seen yet? Here is one in my yard:

Martin

Comments (22)

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

They tend to flop over. :) Yours looks great though. They certainly do smell wonderful. I have several clumps scattered around the yard.

• cascadians
    17 years ago

Wish my slugs didn't like them! Have to put slug bait in and all around every bulb or it's eaten down to nubs in the morning. Serious slug problem here. Lot of water around here.

• Related Discussions

Regrets for planting grape hyacinths?

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm loving them... so far. My aunt had a garden that was really rather overrun with them. They looked spectacular in bloom, but then she didn't like the look after, although in this particular bed was just mostly creeping junipers and shrubs, being a typical foundation bed. I personally didn't think it looked bad. I used to help her pull them, but I don't think we ever got the roots/bulbs and so they pretty much came back in force. I have heard others complain about them as well, but so far I am not overrun or overwhelmed by them. Dee
    ...See More

WANTED: water hyacinth / pond / aquatic plants

Q

Comments (1)
    I have duckweed & lemon bacopa to trade. Will be at the Green Elephant plant swaps.
    ...See More

Any chance of spring planting hyacinths for bloom if nights are cool?

Q

Comments (13)
    All of them now blooming, and it took less than a month after planting. I guess the bulbs had an adequate chilling in a cold warehouse. I only have a container garden, so no ability to plant out in garden soil. What I was thinking of doing to save the bulbs for next year is to feed lightly and consistently with a chemical fertilizer (rather than risk rot using something like Alaska Fish Fertilizer) after all blooms fade and leave them in a sunny spot until the foliage dies back.
    ...See More

Planting forced hyacinth bulbs

Q

Comments (2)
    Every single hyacinth in my garden started life as a forced winter bloomer in water. They last for years but they never produce such big full flowers as in their first year. This doesn't bother me as I prefer the looser more natural flowers in an outdoor setting. As soon as the flower fades Indoors I dig a hole and plant the bulb with its green leaves. I'm in the process of setting out this year's hyacinths as they fade inside.
    ...See More
  • hemnancy
    17 years ago

I would vote more for the Muscari's, which I've heard called Grape Hyacinths. Most are not very fragrant but long-lasting and trouble-free in the garden. True, they are not as big, but my Hyacinths tend not to last long and to flop. I really like species Tulips and daffodils too.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I'm digging up and tossing Muscari every year and can't get it under control.

Daffodils are my favorite bulbs, especially the dwarf ones. They are so cute.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

Everybody has their likes and dislikes, our gardens would be really boring if they were all the same. Personally I love Muscari, always looking for new varieties, love the different types and colors they come in. This a biggy for me, my slugs and snails hate them :o), on the other hand they chomp down on the Hyacinths every chance they get.
    That famous garden ( having a senior moment here, can't think of the name) over in Holland apparently stick wire down the inside of the stems of the Hyacinths to stop them from flopping.
    Hemnancy, I mentioned I had seafoam, that's just a nic-name for 'Fantasy Creations'. Today I noticed comosum plumosum is coming up, I thought I had lost that one.
    You've all heard the saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure' I guess I've got a lot of junk in my garden and I love it all.

A......

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

If you can get the wild species Hyacinths orientalis that may not topple like the built-up garden selections. I just saw a bit somewhere about it, as when I have seen pictures before the spikes did not look heavy.

Prolific small, blue bulbs like scillas, glory-of-the-snow and grape hyacinths are useful for forming contrasting carpets of color beneath spring-flowering trees and shrubs like magnolias and Japanese cherries.

• dottyinduncan
    17 years ago

Right now our upper pasture is covered in a blue mist from the scilla! They are wonderful -- pop up in the springtime, look lovely and then disappear. The donkeys don't eat them, and they are spreading even into areas of deep shade. Mind you, I love wildflowers and our property has many. We have violets out now, the fawn lilies are starting and the pink fawn lilies I transplanted here 20 years ago have just taken off and this year I have a decent sized stand of them. There are some bluebells coming along and my one stand of trillium is poking through the ground. Our property was owned 100 years ago by a wonderful gardener and there are still remnants of his garden here. He planted vinca and it carpets the wild area by the barn -- once again a great plant where you don't mind it spreading.

• westgate
    17 years ago

The Dutch garden is Keukenhof.... I was there many, many years ago in May and it was truly spectacular! My hyacinths have never "flopped", ever! Guess I am lucky! However, slugs are a force to be reckoned with and have done so much damage to my new growth.... although I keep finding little grey/brown snails everywhere, even up at the top of young trees.... they may be just as bad.

• lisasmall
    16 years ago

I have a neighbor down the block and across the street who is allergic to hyacinths, so we don't plant them out front.

However, in the back yard, I have planted 'Madam Sophie' (1889, white) and 'Marie' (1860, dark indigo blue) in honor of our late dog, Queen Sophie Marie.

These are 'heirloom' bulbs from the vendor below and I am very happy with them, even though they were expensive, fragrant and long-lasting.

Some did flop over. According to one website I checked, this is due to either too much light (if you're growing them in the house) or too much warmth while they were developing. In my case, we had a 'hot snap' in early March while they were forming their stems, and I think that's what did it, encouraging them to grow too quickly. No problem, I just staked them up and they are fine.

I have both the traditional cobalt blue and (new to me) pure white muscari (also called 'grape hyacinths'). The whites are smaller than the blue, but maybe that's because this is their first year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens - Antique Bulbs

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I also bought 'Marie' from Old House Gardens among other bulbs. It is stunning. I am very happy with that company and highly recommend them.

I also broke down and bought a couple pots of Muscari whatever 'Golden Fragrance' last week as it was amazingly fragrant. Not sure if it will be as invasive as the common blue one or not. Hope not.

If anyone in the Portland Area wants the common blue Muscari feel free to email me and come dig some up. It is so thick in some spots it it smothering other plants and it has seeded into areas I don't want it.

My email is my username at comcast.net

• jennie
    16 years ago

I like daffodils and the anemones called windflowers. I just wish the anemones were a bit more vigorous. My tulips and lilies get eaten by something such that they don't sprout. Hyacinths are very nice, but don't return well for me.

• kellycomposter
    16 years ago

I agree with Jennie, Hyacinths are beautiful the first year but after that, they don't look so hot.

• daphnexduck
    16 years ago

I planted some blue hyacinths along the top of my rock wall so that they would be at nose level for people walking down the sidewalk in front of my house. I swear they have little to no scent - even when I stick my nose right up to one, even on warmer afternoons. Am I crazy?
    Daphne in Tacoma

• jennie
    16 years ago

I remember another thread earlier about another plant that wasn't as fragrant as usual; someone clever suggest that it was the cold weather, as scent doesn't carry well in the cold.

• Karchita
    16 years ago

I actually like hyacinths better after the first year or two. They are less full, but they don't flop anymore and they have a wild, rangy look that looks more natural to me.

My favorite bulbs are the early daffodils and the little tomassinianus crocus. I like the cheery looks of them; I like to see flowers in January and early February, and I like the foliage to disappear and get out of the way early.

I also love the clusiana tulips 'Lady Jane'. It is also an easy, beautiful flower and the foliage seems to disappear pretty quickly.

• hemnancy
    16 years ago

I have one pink Hyacinth which keeps returning, and it looks great this year so I'm actually considering buying more.

Last year my new species Tulip was T. vvedenskyi Tangerine Beauty and looked great when it bloomed but this year is very slow to bloom, still just buds, and the foliage is very chewed up. But this year's new species, T. vvedenskyi, a stunning red, has gorgeous totally untouched blue-green foliage and is blooming now. I'm really enjoying my double daffodil, Obdam, it is so frilly and the many petals line up perfectly. It's actually a plus for me that it flops in the rain because then I don't feel bad about cutting it to put in a vase. So lovely. They returned and bloomed the second year, too.

Deer have been eating my Muscari foliage and flowers this year.:-( I had to put up more barriers and chicken wire.

• buzzy
    16 years ago

If of thy worldly goods thou art bereft
    And two loaves alone to thee are left
    Sell one, and with the dole
    Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I have all different kinds of hyacinth and they come back every year for me too. The slugs enjoy them though. I agree with buyorsell, The common blue Muscari ones are a little bit invasive, they pop up everywhere.

I planted 'Queen of the Night' Tulips last Fall, they are amazing! Very dark purple tall ones. Late blooming, just getting going now. I LOVE them!

• pdx_gardengirl
    16 years ago

They are one of my favorite flowers, they remind me of my childhood.
    However, they can be a little invasive.

• tallclover
    16 years ago

I love woodland hyacinths or spanish bluebells and I have specatular photo of them in the woods outside my house. The just keep getting better and better. Take a look in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea of Blue Spanish Hyacinths

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Tallclover, that is spectacular!

I confess to digging out excess Spanish bluebells occasionally. They sure do spread and why to do they crowd into the crowns of shrubs?

• Karchita
    15 years ago

I confess to using Roundup on bluebells occaisionally!

They are spectacular in your garden, tallclover, but they are a pretty pest in my garden.

They look great under my huge pink rhodie, with which they bloom at the same time (no credit to me, it was the previous owner's work), but they don't look so great in the cracks in my sidewalk or sprouting in the crowns of other plants.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting