SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
easycity

Beetles Found Under Bark of An Oak Tree

easycity
10 years ago

Hi,
Last winter, tree service people hired by NStar inspected two oak trees in my front yard. The lady told me that I need to spray pesticide on one oak tree. Before I got around to take care of this issue, the snow started.
Two weeks ago after the snow melted, I sprayed some insect killer, perhaps some kill-all kind from Otho. As soon as I sprayed the pesticide, I was shocked to see small beetles crawling out. After a minute, these beetles fell to the ground and died.
I used garden hose to spray all the pesticides I could find at Home Depot on the trees in my yard. But I can only spray to about 12 feet high, about 1/3 height of the trees.
My questions are:
1. If I kept spraying commonly used pesticides once every season, can I control the beetle problem?
2. I read that bark beetle infest from the top and spread downward, and one of the signs is falling tree branches. Is that true? Do I need to buy a pump and spray the whole tree?
3. I read that bark beetle rarely infest healthy trees. Is it still possible for me to rescue the oak trees? Or should I cut the infested trees to protect other trees and to start new trees early?

Gardening is a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. Hopefully in the future I can post more beautiful pictures about the flowers and vegetables in my garden.

Comments (7)