SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Preventing bark beetles in fruit trees

I thought I'd post this as a question, as I'm not finding a lot of helpful information online.

A friend of mine has a house surrounded by older trees, they have a few in their yard, and their neighbors have a few. One of these older trees, in their neighbor's yard, is an old chestnut tree that has been absolutely infested with bark beetles for a long time. (As well as a lot of other things. You look up at the tree and large chunks of it are just rotting). The city won't let their neighbor cut it down, as it is a huge and very old tree, but they had a tree service out a few weeks ago to remove the worst of the damaged branches and any that might pose a hazard. (Every time there is a storm huge chunks of this tree fall into my friend's yard). Since the service trimmed the tree, there have been beetles EVERYWHERE. If you get within a block of their house you see them on the cars, the houses, etc.

My friend has a bunch of fruit trees, some of which are potted citrus that they've had for 15-20 years. Now they're terrified that the beetles might infest their trees. Does anyone have a good way to protect the trees, and keep them out, until the beetles settle down again?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH