SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

an oak tree with borer beetles

13 years ago

Hey everyone -

Someone on the Southern Gardening forum suggested I put my question on here.

I have a big oak that needs to come down. It is infested with borer beetles -- we think ambrosia beetles. They started in on the tree about 5 years ago. We had an arborist try to save it with pesticides and some "good" biological soil strengtheners in the soil. We tried, but the poor tree is a goner. It is rotten out at the base and is dangerous.

SO -- we know for sure the tree needs to come down.

My question for you is this: am I correct in thinking that we must remove the tree from the woods? ALthough it would be fun (and cheaper) to leave the wood in the forest for habitat and for my kids to walk on and climb over, I'm concerned that leaving the beetles there is a bad idea.

I know some borers only go for almost dead trees and might not bother healthy ones. We had so many years of drought here that many of our trees were weakened. We are also in a very old neighborhood with very old trees. I'm not sure if many of our big trees are healthy anymore. Lots of nice magnolia, redbud, and dogwood, but the big trees need loving care.

Any thoughts or advice for me? It seems like getting the tree down and OUT is probably the answer (but I would love to hear if it isn't necessary!)

Thanks!!!!!!

Comments (8)