SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circa1825

Show Me Your Wishing Well

circa1825
17 years ago

Personally, I can't stand wishing wells. But here's why I ask...

When my husband and I lived in California and he decided to take a job in Cambridge, we spent a lot of time online looking for a house to buy. I saw a neat old house with an ugly wishing well in the front yard. My husband liked the house, but said the commute would be too far. When we relocated, we rented an apartment in NH for half a year before we found a house to buy. I didn't know why he thought the house we were about to buy was okay for commuting to and from since the one I had seen online had been in the same area, but whatever. Anyway, we viewed the house a couple of times before buying it, and during one of ours visits I was standing in the front yard and noticed an ugly wishing well beside a giant tree. I almost fainted. From that angle, I realized that the house we were buying (and did buy) was the one I had seen online with the ugly wishing well, back when we were still living in CA. FREAKY!! So here we are almost five years later and we still have the wishing well, although I have moved it several times and finally put it in a spot where I rarely have to look at it. I thought that maybe I could make it nice by painting it to match the house, whenever I finally decide what colors I am going to paint the house, and then grow some flowering vines on it and hang some bird feeders from it. I thought that surrounding it with tall, old-fashioned plants like foxgloves and hollyhocks might make it nice, basically building a country cottage garden around it. My husband has just wanted to burn it all of these years, but that one freaky day was enough to make me want to keep it.

So, if you have a photo of a wishing well in a garden and you think it looks nice, I'd love to see it. Then I can decide once and for all if mine should head to the burn pile.

Comments (12)