SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Took a walk through my garden today.........uggghhhh!

bill_ri_z6b
10 years ago

What a winter! So many things appear to be trashed. I will wait to see what comes back, IF we ever get spring! Things that should not have had any problems are toast! My yellow crocuses have bloomed, and some tulips have very healthy and normal looking foliage about three to four inches tall. No signs of daffodils, except for the ones that put up new foliage in autumn. Three ( out of 36) hyacinths have put up foliage.

As for the more tender perennials, the Lithodora is history, as is at least one Rosemary. The "Arp" looks like it has a chance. The camellia plants seem OK, but it remains to be seen if the buds are OK. They look OK, for now. Needless to say, the Windmill palm looks dead. The Gardenia "Frostproof" is about half dead, but will come back. Hard to say about some other things. Time will tell. My winter jasmine is fine, but not one flower has opened this season, and that ALWAYS has at least a few open now and then during mild spells all winter. My other jasmine (J. officinale) which is more than eight years old, I think is dead. Even my twenty-five-year-old climbing rose "Altissimo" looks like it may be history, and that has seen some cold weather in the past!

This past winter has discouraged me greatly. I will plant only a few annuals, a tomato or two and some basil this year.

{{gwi:5901}}

Comments (11)