SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

Pining Over Pines, Part Two

16 years ago

Figured it was time to start phase II of this thread inasmuch as the pine tears have dried and spring is springing.

Catching up, yes, the rhodys were definitely on the towns hit list, and two weeks ago I physically stood next to them as the town guys held their long pole saws over their shoulders, but I have it in writing from the tree warden that they will not be touched. All handled peacefully (on the surface). The rhodys will be moved within the next four weeks to the side of the house in a raised bed with 30 yards of new soil. Those rhodys will reach the top window the house, 15 up. The once proud conifer strip border will now be 80 feet of rhododendrons in a comma shaped garden to embrace the house  all evergreen large broadleaf varieties, including the one being moved. It will graduate in color from the pink/lilac blooms on my old guy to shocking magenta at the end and equally in graduated size. I have ordered 3 eastern redbuds to tuck in 20 apart to form a canopy in back of the rhodys in the years to come. So much has happened!

I found a chap on craigslist who had trees/shrubs for sale and last week I came home with a 5Â salix discolor (pussy willow tree) that is beginning to bloom; a viburnum shoshoni doublefile, 20" tall and round; a Prunus x Cistera (purpleleaf sand cherry) also 5Â tall; and one Acer pal. Burgundy lace maple, about 28" tall. All for $80 with original nursery tags. Really. Thank goodness I keep my old Volvo wagon; Dagmar is wonderful for transporting everything!

Next, through many discussions with the landscaper (really nice guy) a new garden will be built in back of our deck, 32 long by varying widths because the deck is not a rectangle. It has angles that maintain a 15 width from the house and is 30 long. So, now I get to fill up another garden with the material mentioned above as well as all the stuff I ordered from the CT North Central Conservation DistrictÂs annual sale thanks to diggerdee posting the sale info. And, to top it all off, this morning the landscaper chap, whom I met through the arborist, showed up with his partner to wheel in the Cornus Kousa that the arborist gave to me because I was a basket case over the pines and he is a nice guy. This kousa is 6Â3 tall, perfectly shaped, and loaded with new growth. It will go next to the deck. Oh, one more thingÂremember we lost the maples as well due to disease from the top down? Well, close to the old site, but far enough from the ground stumps and roots, a new Green Mountain Sugar Maple will go in  about 3.5 caliper. I like maples and it will fit in with the other 3 sugar maples that border the rest of the street. Also, part of the raised beds around the house will have the old plants moved to other areas and new foundation plants, probably Ilex x meserve, Princess and Prince based on deer resistance...praying itÂs true. Oh, one more thing. Last week the chap from Walpole came to have a look at my old fence and said to just keep Âer going. HeÂs the manager of the branch and said that to the best of his 23 yrs. of fence knowledge my 27 year old fence is the oldest around. Sigh. Old owners, old trees, old house, old fence, old carÂand IÂm thrilled. You know, making these new gardens and getting all the trees, shrubs and plants makes me happier than if I just won a trip to Hawaii. Maybe IÂm a true gardener, at least at heart and in spirit. Or, IÂm so sick of a bare border and winter that IÂm slightly delirious! Three months after the big bough broke, things are looking up and the displaced birds will be happy with each new selection!!

I'm grateful, very grateful for this forum. I've have learned much from each of you.

Kindly,

Jane

Comments (11)