SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Delurking to ask a couple of questions :-)

gillianma
17 years ago

Hello again. I just posted under the lurking thread. I'm being fairly brave and posting rather strange questions so please be kind. I have lurked here enough to know that you are a very nice crowd, so I am not too worried!

So here are my 2 questions:

1. Disguising a septic tank leach field. A how to for a dog lover?

My back yard (approx .5 of an acre) is mostly occupied by the septic tank leach field. AKA the mountain. The mound starts about 25' from my back door, but there is a lot of usable space before that. I have already planted a herb garden that did fairly well last year. I have plans for a raised 10' x 10' vegetable garden in another corner. I would like to plant some kind of hedge (appro 5'high and non-toxic to dogs) to screen the mound. I also hope the hedge will encourage my retired racing greyhounds to run "around" the leach field not "over" it. As the back yard is fenced, it is also their play area.

I'd like flowers, but not roses for this spot (thorns and greyhounds don not mix). The "dip" at the very edge of the leach field where I'd like the hedge to be is soggy. I could build it up, but it will always be damp. It gets full sun in the morning, but is shaded in the afternoon. I have acid soil.

I was considering Hybiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon). Any opinions?

2. Plant Swaps. Can someone share a primer on swap meet etiquette?

I've never been to one because I don't have any plants to swap! :::Hanging head and scuffing toe in newbie shame:::

Can I just go and hang out and meet gardeners? Can I buy plants not swap them? How can I not be intimidated out of my comparatively new garden clogs? Any and all tips are welcome!

When you have stopped laughing at me, I'd love to read your responses. Thanks a million.

Gillian in North Central MA.

Comments (17)