SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachface_gw

So Much to Learn, My Head is Spinning

peachface
17 years ago

Whew - i planned to do one little search for some specific info and have spent hours on this site! it's my first yard and last summer/fall i cleared areas for gardens, put down wood chips, and planted a few spring perennials. this past weekend, i planted a bunch of summer perennials & groundcovers, all in appropriately lighted areas.

my main worry is that the soil is clay (outside Philadelphia, PA) and i did not prepare the garden beds beyond the wood chips. the spring flowers are blooming, but will they endure over the years in poor soil? do products like "SoilSyrup" or "AERIFY!" help?

should i mulch or compost or fertilize, which is better, and what's the difference? i just read compost could spread weed seeds.

i've planted so much: saxifraga, alyssum, tulip, daffodil, daylily, ranunculus, hosta, fern, calla lily, canna, tigridia, freesia, gladioli - but now i am worried i need to dig them up and re-bed with good soil.

also, should i do preventative maintenance for destructive bugs like aphids or grubs?

there's so much more i need to learn but i think this is a good start. thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (12)