SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackied164

new climate

jackied164 z6 MA
17 years ago

I was out and about in the garden today and reading the new issue of English Garden magazine and fantasizing that my garden this year would behave like a garden in southwest England. I read many books by gardeners from the UK and they go on and on about the "winter garden". Personally I always thought this was nonsense....yeah there are some evergreens shivering on my tundra...whopee! I also thought that referring to helleborus as either the "Christmas" or "Lenten" rose was nonsense....yeah right so they are going to flower under the snow! Well I think I am about to have an overlap between my last flower of 2006 and the first of 2007. Mr Calendula meet Mr Snowdrop. I also see that maybe if this mild weather keeps up my hellebores will flower in Februrary and to be honest I would love to experience a garden like this. I would love if the residual annuals (California poppies, calendula, dusty miller and snap dragons) make it through the winter to bloom again. The weather through next week suggests it will remain mild but I am sure real winter will arrive eventually. Actually I hope it does because real winter is what makes me so excited about my spring garden. I know I wont look at the snowdrop that is about to flower the same way I do most years in March when I breath a huge sigh of relief and feel so optimistic.

Comment (1)