SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmac78

Planted my first Japanese Maples, Companion plants ideas?

rmac78
13 years ago

Hi, I live in Des Moines, Iowa and have become fascinated with Japanese maples. I just bought and planted my first ones. My selections include

Acer Palmatum 'Bloodgood'

Acer Palmatum 'Fireglow'

Acer Japonicum 'Aconitifolium'

Acer Shirasawanum 'Moonrise'

Acer Shirasawanum 'Sensu'

I still have a lot of work to do. Now I must add companion plants to a couple of the beds. I was thinking of some limelight hydrangea, miscanthus gracilimus, russian sage and some new varieties of coneflowers. Any other advise on some nice companions? I am very new to gardening and most of my ideas have come from this site, or my untrained eye. I tried to pick some trees that would have a good chance of survival. We will just hope that these make it through the Iowa winter. They are planted on the east side of the house with several mature trees acting as protection.

I rented a Uhaul and drove to springfield, IL to a wonderful place known as Davidsans Japanese Maples. Let me tell you that this guy is an expert. He has hundreds planted on his gorgeous property and hundreds of young to mature trees for sale. I would recommend anyone in the midwest to make the trip to go and see him. I believe he does mail order as well.

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of my Japanese maple collection.

Here are some pics..... also some pics of my other garden planted last year which includes a redbud.

Any other advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Photos

Comments (9)