SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

A Sport We've Not Yet Registered - should we?

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

Look at HL for Wheaton Blue. As all too often, the pictures are so very varied, but perhaps that's indicative of the variation found in different growing conditions, although I believe it's at least as indicative of the differences between all the early digital cameras, but that's another whole discussion, and certainly not reasonably under the control of the wonderful Bob who gives so freely of this unequaled resource of visuals for us hostaholics.

All that rant aside, here's a picture of a sport of H. 'Wheaton Blue' that has been growing for over a decade here, and I'm thinking of starting the process of registering it, since it certainly has enough maturity to likely ensure that it is stable.

The Boss, errr, my hostaholic wife, has had it labeled Hosta 'Wheaton Blue Glory' ever since she divided the sport, and I'm a big proponent of giving Hosta sports names that give homage to their lineage. Then again, sometimes it's appropriate to diverge, and this post is an invitation for you to comment.

Hosta 'Wheaton Blue Glory', or so it is as yet named:

I hope the forefront planted 'Sweet Cicely' companion plant provides a size reference. This plant is more than a yard across. Another size comparison reference could be taken from the 'standard' sized label stab?

Also, since so many new introductions are 'copy cats', don't feel restricted about commenting that it looks 'too much like H. whatever'.

enjoy please, in any case,

hh

Comments (8)