SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skedwards_gw

I could just cry my eyes out if....

skedwards
18 years ago

I thought that it would do any good. We went camping over the weekend and I was worried about my plants getting enough water and things like that. I was also a little disappointed because I was afraid that some of my lilies would bloom and I wouldn't catch them at their prettiest point.

Well, some of my lilies did bloom while we were gone but are still pretty. However.....

I have an Easter Lily that just gets bigger and prettier with more & more blooms every year. It looked like it was finally ready to bloom before we left and I was so hoping to catch it in full bloom. It hasn't bloomed yet but will soon.......

As I was looking at it closer I noticed that one of our dogs or some other varment must have trampled on it because 3 or more stalks (that all would have had massive blooms) have been broken off.

I am just sick. I just thought that maybe I could get the broken stalks, put them in a vase of water and maybe they would bloom indoors anyway????? I don't know if lilies will bloom like that. I suppose I could try. I'm still so sad though. It was going to be so beautiful this year.

Upon closer inspection, I can't tell if the stalks were trampled or chewed. I did find a very small "baby" snail on one of the leaves of a downed stalk.

What are some tips for protecting your lilies and could/would a snail chew completely through a thick lily stalk at ground level?

Thanks for any tips.

skedwards

Northeast Mississippi, Zone 7

Comment (1)