SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southpac_hydro

Grow mediums - science fair time

Southpac-hydro
10 years ago

Yowke and Aloha,

I've been running my outdoor hydro setup for the last four months with some successes, some utter failures.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0701163722190.html

bumper crop of cucumbers, losing battle with spider gnats on the green beans, total strikeout with melons, nice meal of collard greens......having fun with blossom end rot with tomatoes now.

onto my the reason of my posting.

My kid is at the age where he wants to participate in the local science fair. i thought about building a solar hydroponic setup, but after reading the rules about scientific methods and experimentation, it seems that having a dad who can build stuff doesn't quite qualify as a good experiment, so back to the drawing board.

Since I live on an island, my thinking was to conduct and experiment with growing mediums "naturally" available, and how they would compare in growth rates....I'm still going to do the solar bit, WTH, coolness factor.

The practical "natural resource" options available are coconut husks, shells and coral skeletons (mind you, this is a elementary school project, not a PhD dissertation). I thought about sand, but dont see al way of keeping it in the net cup, and dont want to foul my system.

with this said, does any one have any experience with processing of coconut coir?

i assume steaming or boiling the medium would be step one.

any perceived issues using coral skeletons and shells?

thanks in advance for any input.

Chuck

Comments (9)