SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantboy_grower

Flushing nutrients / perpetual garden

plantboy_grower
16 years ago

I have been told that plants store nutrient salts, and the produce tastes better if these salts are used up before harvesting and eating. Yet I have also been told that although it will not taste as good, eating a crop that has not been flushed is "safe".

1) Do leafy crops need to be flushed like fruiting crops do?

2) What about a perpetual herb garden that would never be flushed? Or, how does the aerogarden get away with it, picking lettuce and mini tomatoes all the time?

3) Are there different nutrients out there, some safer than others for food crops?

4) I never gave a second thought to picking lettuce out of my outdoor organic garden, picking it as it grows. So what's up with synthetic nutrients, is there a difference here in when you can eat it? I have been told that nutrients are nutrients - whether they are broken down by bacteria (organic gardening) or whether they are directly supplied by synthetics/salts...

so I am failing to understand something here.

I am currently using the Technaflora line of synthetic nutrients on my first ever hydro crop:

http://picasaweb.google.com/richard.eric.crawford/Hydro1?authkey=jXCsFSXkTn4

5) Also the flushing process seems to be expensive - 8 tsp. (40 ml) of sugar daddy per gallon!

Thanks for your input!

Comments (11)