SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevey_frac

Starting my first setup, Does this sound like it will work?

stevey_frac
14 years ago

Hi guys,

I've been creeping around a bit, Thought I would introduce myself and perhaps get some feedback.

I'm planning a deep water culture system, homemade. I'm going to start with one growing area, and a reservoir, with the intent that I will probably expand to have many growing areas eventually once I get cooking.

I've got a small aquarium pump that will be pumping water from the reservoir to the growing areas, and back. I'm planning on putting an air stone in the growing areas (plastic totes basically) and in the reservoir both.

My tap water is about a pH of 8.2, so it's fairly basic. I'm told adding nutrients should lower this somewhat. The reservoir will be fairly large, and get flushed and changed every Saturday.

I want to start seedlings in soil, then switch them into the hydroponics area. I'm going to use aquarium gravel as the growing medium.

The plan is to grow lettuce at first since there is no flowering involved in it, and then add tomatoes later, and eventually some dill, and basil.

This would all be grown under compact florescent lighting on a timer to run 16 hours a day. Obviously when I want to begin fruiting the tomatoes this will change, however, for the lettuce and herbs this should work well I think...

Let me know if there's anything wrong with this setup, and if you have any suggestions. I'd appreciate comments anyways actually!

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (42)