SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Pipe noise---does this sound like water hammer?

artemis78
13 years ago

We have an odd pipe "thunk" that I'm noticing at night at regular intervals, and I'm trying to trace the source. I started noticing this shortly after we had some work done, so I'm trying to figure out which work may have caused the problem, and who to call back to fix it.

We're in an unusual situation of being in the middle of a kitchen renovation, so water is running to *very* few things in our house right now:

- Water heater

- 1 bathroom sink

- 1 bathroom tub

- 1 toilet

...and that's it. So there are a limited number of culprits here.

Here's the work we've done recently:

- Moved the water heater and redone gas and water plumbing to it---this is my #1 guess, but want to be sure!

- Replaced hot/cold lines into kitchen with copper---but water in kitchen is not on/no faucet.

- Replaced drain from kitchen

- Replaced seal and drain from toilet to fix a leak

The toilet is no longer leaking but is now having problems where it starts running spontaneously for a few minutes and then stops (independent of flushing) and sometimes does not flush properly. We assumed the flapper had gotten knocked or something when it was moved and put back into place, but haven't had a moment to troubleshoot this yet---including info just in case it's related (doubtful?)

And last but not least, we have a slow bathtub drain leak right now too (our house is apparently on strike...) that will get fixed when the plumber is next out for the kitchen. Again, likely unrelated to everything else (it's an old house, and some of these pipes are just done) but including in case it's related.

So back to that thunk---it happens when no water is running and is not noticeable during the day (but could just be that there's enough other noise then). We did not notice it before this work started, but then all of these things happened in quick succession, so not sure if it correlates to one in particular. A different plumber did the work on the water heater (furnace people) so I don't want to drag them back if it turns out to be something different causing it. Any thoughts on which of these plumbing escapades could be at fault? Thanks!

Comments (12)