SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocklandguy

Sounds Like Marbles in my Hot Water Heater!

16 years ago

Problem: When we turn on the hot water anywhere in the house, the hot water heater itself, not any pipes, makes noises like there are marbles loose in the tank itself. It is a natural gas "American Pro-Line 40 Gal" tank. I called the 800 number for American Water Heater Co and was basically told, "Sorry", only two year warranty on parts, I should pour a gallon of vinegar into the tank, and let it sit for 6 hours, then flush it out several times. When I asked them how do I get the vinegar into the tank, I was told that they don't supply technicians for that and to hire a plumber. Real nice customer service! All the fitting are soldered. Can someone tell me a trick to get vinegar into the tank without un-soldering the fittings or calling a plumber? In the meantime, I drained the tank, and all this soft white stuff came out thru the hose onto the driveway. Obviously hard water residue. I played with putting more water back into the tank a few times and then draining again, but that was a slow process. I hope this process will help eliminate the noise. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than buying a new water heater? The tank is only 4 years old. Thanks! Paul

Comments (6)