SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirkyquercus_gw

Does a freezing pipe sound like a mad elephant?

quirkyquercus
16 years ago

Very early this morning I was awoken by the a very loud noise that sounded like elephants, trumpets and microphone feedback all blending into one ear drum shattering wail.

I am in Georgia so don't see low temps that are well below freezing for very long or all that often but the last few days have been below average in the teens for prolonged periods.

The houses in the neighborhood are not really designed for these temps and people don't really know how to prepare for this, myself included.

I checked my pipes and just from a visual inspection (they are in the basement) they look fine. The outdoor faucets were turned off and they look fine. I think it was coming from a neighbor's house. A neighbor who is seldom home.

Do you think their pipes were bursting? Is that what this noise could have been?

The noise only lasted for about 5 minutes, sounded like it was loud enough to hear for a couple of blocks. And then after it went away, there were some minor "aftershocks" that were faint, not very loud.

Comments (5)