SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
high_plains_drifter

Tomato Hybridization Questions (good ones)

First question: which is dominant, determinate or indeterminate growth? Maybe neither? I've heard of semi-determinate growth, so maybe if you hybridize a determinate and indeterminate you'll get a semi-determinate F1. What's the deal?

Second question: if I emasculate the pollen receiver after the flower has just begun to open, can I still add pollen from another plant and get at least a portion of hybrids and determine them during grow-out based upon the recessive potato-leaf gene? In other words, is there still a window of opportunity to effectively cross pollinate given this situation? The mother plant is a brandywine, the flowers look weird/different to me, and I'm wondering about timing....

Third question: how many flowers should I remove from the father plant in order to ensure a large enough supply of pollen to fertilizer the mother? One, two, four flowers?

This is my first attempt at hybridizing anything. What I'm trying to do is create a tomato that tastes like brandywine, thrives under arid conditions and is more productive. I know about brandyboy, but I think what I'm trying to do is different (don't ask about the pollen doner 'cause I ain't giving it away). This hybridizing thing appeals to me and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HPD

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting