SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
instar8

Glutamate+ umami+ tomatoes =Good Eats? Enlighten me, O, wise ones

instar8
14 years ago

I could google that title, but I'm always intrigued by the amount of esoteric technical smarts of the collective GT forum-goers, so I came here.

I'm a Food network fan, and while frittering away my time watching "Next Iron Chef" and "Good Eats" this week, both featuring Japanese cuisine and extensive discussion of "umami", found my self very curious about the whole glutamate/glutamic acid subject as it relates to tomatoes.

Alton Brown was the first one I've heard describe tomatoes as having the apparently elusive "umami", which to my understanding, simply means "delicious", but in a complex way...he went on to talk about the discovery and subsequent overuse of monosodium glutamate (AKA MSG) as umami-in-a-bottle (I think they call it "Accent").

I've learned from this forum that glutamic acid is found abundantly in tomatoes, and tomatoes to my mind can indeed be simply delicious in a complex way...though not always! So are there attempts to breed for more glutamic acid? Or to come up with growing methods that would increase its production?

Would you even want to do that ? And if so any guesses what conditions, soil additions, etc. might heighten GA content ? Am i way off base, or even making sense? I'm interested in any thoughts!

Comments (6)