SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

Do you eat enough unprocessed food?

yeonassky
4 years ago

I think I do but I have so many diet restrictions that I can't help but eat unprocessed foods.

My DS who is disabled on the other hand eats too much junk food. He does all his own cooking. He orders in at least once a week.

He orders our food and I pick it up or we get groceries delivered when I'm too busy. He always orders treats and pop and sugared iced tea for himself. DH eats a bit of junk food but as I said I eat none.

He's a good cook and competent in the kitchen but his energy isn't great when his migraines become more frequent. That can go on for months. Plus his interest in his own cooking wains and he doesn't love my much plainer fare.

Due to his disability sometimes walking the block doesn't happen so he will always be overweight. With all of those burdens I would once again like to come up with a plan to feed him more healthy food. I think I can convince him to eat zucchini and whole wheat noodle lasagna heavily laden with veggies. He does eat frozen grocery store veggies so I can freeze meals in meal sized portions. It would have to be a complete meal though as he sometimes can't cook at all.

My real problem is his love of saucy salty rich creamy sauces. And sugary drinks!

I know he'll revert back to ordering in or buying processed junk if his comfort flavours aren't there. I can't get away with just adding yogurt. Very frustrating.

What brought all this up for me once again? The study below.

NIH Study about ultra processed food and higher calories consumed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjVvLGSv6TkAhVCoZ4KHXpdAIkQFjAPegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nih.gov%2Fnews-events%2Fnews-releases%2Fnih-study-finds-heavily-processed-foods-cause-overeating-weight-gain&usg=AOvVaw3oeOnnE9wuCgxqdBhbBADy

Comments (60)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If one can learn to enjoy unsweetened beverages like teas and seltzer, I think that can be a good beginning to getting healthier in one's food & drink choices.

Getting away from sweetened anything will help, IMPE, Consuming fewer sugary sweetened foods & treats lessens sugar cravings. Eating more fresh fruits also helps - again, IMPE. Their sugars are accompanied by fiber and other nutrients, which are filling and help curb hunger.

I buy as much organic as possible and grow a number of things too. Our diet is mostly low processed fresh things, full fat dairy, no bleached flour or sugar, and we don't shy away from fats - just unhealthy ones like those used in fried foods. Hubby & I both eat a lot of eggs.

I do cook at least 3-4 times weekly, or more, and try to make & eat dishes with lots of fruits & veggies in them. I like to make enough to have leftovers for a day or 2.

Restaurant foods always seem to be too high in salt, sugar & unhealthy fat for our taste and gastric comfort, so we barely ever eat takeout or @ restaurants.

yeonassky thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

In general, I think it's easier to think of what you want to add to your life rather than subtract. If you have 10 servings of fruits and veg and two liters of water, it's harder to have room for the less wholesome choices.

Also, FWIW, I use short burst challenges to myself to kickstart a new habit and establish a virtuous feedback cycle.

yeonassky thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Related Discussions

How long do YOU eat "old" canned food?

Q

Comments (28)
    "Unfort smelling green bean juice again. So I guess I am losing liquid aain in the raw pack green beans. DANG. The instruction booklet is poor for the American.... So I have underlined stuff in it. It says jigging 1 to 4 times per minute, NO WAY. if do so guage goes down past the 10 lb mark on the dial...... DUH>>>" Yet another example of why it is often said here to never use your canner manual for directions for canning. Use it for cooking instructions only. Rather use the current existing directions found at NCHFP. You are losing liquid from the jars not only because you are using raw pack but primarily because you are adjusting the heat while the processing is in progress. That should be avoided at all costs. Trying to get a weight to jiggle just right by playing around with the heat source will always cause liquid to siphon out of the jars. It is far better to allow higher pressure and more frequent jiggling than it is to adjust the heat setting once processing has begun. With a bit of experimenting we can each determine where our heat should be set for uniform processing so no further adjusting is needed. Dave
    ...See More

Eat-in kitchen: do you eat at an island? Do you like it?

Q

Comments (41)
    Before we remodel we struggled w/ this issue. In the end we made a bigger investment so that we could eat at a table & have an island. I am very glad we did. I almost always choose to have our family dinner at the table-- it seems so much more civilized and relaxed and an improtant time for our family of four to be/dine together -- which is only 3-4 times a week. When we sit at the table there have been so many improtant discussions that take place. They are critcal teaching moments for our teenage children. Also I am a stickler for table manners & it is hard to do that the island. Lunch & Breakfast happens at the island. FYI- We increased the kitchen floor plan byremoving diningroom wall & absorbing that space into our kichen plan. The dining room furniture then moved to share space with our oversized living room. Two years later- I am sooo happy we did this.
    ...See More

Processed vs. Unprocessed Foods and Weight

Q

Comments (42)
    Lyban, I'm not a nutritionist and don't play one on TV ;-) But moderation like Chispa noted would apply here for me, too. If I ate the Ryvita for lunch along with processed lunch meat, chips or pasta salad, a muffin for dessert, then that's just too much processed food overall. However, if I topped it with sliced vegetables, hard-boiled egg or avocado, etc., then sides of fruit, a quinoa salad with homemade dressing, or other non-processed foods, then I would be OK with eating it. Also the serving size is 3 slices... it would be easy to cut it back to 2. If you want to try intermittent fasting, I recommend first cutting back on processed foods and improving your regular diet overall. Some people use intermittent fasting as an excuse to binge eat junky food when they're allowed to eat. I don't see the point in that. It's important to me that when I do eat, that I'm eating good, real, healthy food--for 90% of the time... I still enjoy indulgences once in a while. Then, when you want to explore intermittent fasting, do some research. There are a million resources now about IF, and it's good to compare notes, talk with your doctor, etc. The main methods I've tried are: 5:2 IF - I first read about this several years ago when a study came out about effective weight loss in the UK. It was based on something like this approach. I found this approach do-able when I have 2 days a week when I'm super-busy and can keep myself occupied and away from food. 500 calories seems like nothing, but it's a good way to introduce your body to IF. Timed eating: This involves taking in all of your daily calories in a restricted timeframe, like from 10 am to 6 pm, or from noon-4, etc. This link has more information and guidance. It also has a video by Dr. Jason Fung, who's well-known in IF circles. Start slowly and give your body time to adjust. Research tips and strategies (the link above has good ones). Yes, you can exercise on an empty stomach (I do all the time). No, I have not lost muscle mass. No, I am not hungry all the time. Yes, I take a break during special occasions, holidays, vacations, etc. Once my body adjusted, IF became very natural and felt good. I do a combination of the 5:2 and timed eating, just depending upon my schedule. And I'm not a stickler or obsessive over it... it's just how I eat. The most important thing, however, is paying attention to my body. Good luck, and I hope it works for you.
    ...See More

Where do you eat your meals and why do you like to eat there?

Q

Comments (57)
    Sorry for the yellowed image, it's gloomy outside today, but this is the view from the eating area in our kitchen. Here is where we eat 95% of our meals during cool or super hot weather, if it's mild or warm, we eat out side at the table. Our dining room is for larger gatherings. I love it there too, but rarely would the two of us choose to eat there alone. I've cleaned up the table so that the bottles of vitamins, supplements and Kleenex box are on the island, normally they live at DH's place! The tv is on the counter, to the right of the table. DH hates it being on in the mornings because it disturbs his reading of the paper, however we are usually watching the news or Jeopardy during dinner. Rarely do we eat in the den. We just don't find it comfortable to hang over the low coffee table while sitting on the sofa. Although that said, DH takes a tray in there when I'm having a Mahjongg game at the kitchen table. DD moved to Georgia and has the above areas and a darling screened in porch. I think that would be the best of both worlds.
    ...See More
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

We rarely use canned or heavily processed foods. Most of what we eat is made from scratch using ingredients from the farmers market, natural foods stores, locally raised meat and locally caught fish. I won't touch farm raised fish or shellfish; I'd rather go without. Most of what I cook is heavy on veggies and we both love greens such as spinach, chard and collards. I probably eat more fruit than I should, but summer's bounty is hard to resist. We eat beans quite often and I'm cooking more often with grains such as bulgur, quinoa, barley and brown/wild rice.

Occasionally, I will buy a bag of tortilla chips and I bake now and then, but mostly I avoid these types of snacks more because of the calories than anything else. I don't feel that eating these kinds of food once in a while is going to harm me. I gave up soda over 10 years ago and now drink water or tea. I do like beer, but it's loaded with calories, and of course, limiting alcohol is just good sense.

Right now we are on vacation and are eating out a lot more than normal. I try to make healthy choices, but sometimes I just let myself have something totally decadent and enjoy every morsel. Because we are eating out, we are also eating more ice cream and dessert than usual. We'll get back on track once we're home again.

Giving up today's processed and junk foods takes some conscious effort, but do it long enough and it becomes a habit. If your son likes to cook, perhaps he'd enjoy taking on the challenge of learning to cook with whole foods. It sounds as if he's an adult so his food choices are ultimately up to him; if he welcomes guidance and suggestions from you all the better.

yeonassky thanked DawnInCal
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Being married to a family practice doc who specializes in preventative medicine and healthful eating, we do . . . for the most part. But it hasn't been an easy switch for me. I've had to do a huge amount of research, which is always an ongoing/learning process. Thank goodness that (1) I love to cook, and (2) I don't work outside the home anymore. I don't know how people that work full-time do it, but my hat is off to them!

One thing that I have learned, through DH and is supported by my own research, is that eliminating empty starches from your diet is a very healthy choice. Primarily anything made from wheat (and that includes your average pastas), rice (not wild rice, though, which is a grain), potatoes (but not sweet potatoes or yams), corn, and sugar. So,

* In place of rice, I've switched us to bulgur, farro and quinoa.

* We just don't eat much corn anymore.

* In place of regular pastas, I've switched us to chickpea and red lentil pastas. I find them at Whole Foods and (a few) at Trader Joes. BTW, I have tried the black bean pasta and did not like the flavor at all!

* In place of regular sugar, we now use Erythritol, which is (I think) what Swerve is. I order it on Amazon Prime, which is cheaper than I can find in the stores. But, as mentioned several times above, not allowing yourself to get accustomed to eating a lot of sweets, makes eating more healthfully a lot easier! We've never been a family that keeps a lot of snack food around. Nor do we eat desserts routinely. So that part was easier of me/us. I do still occasionally use honey, though.

* In place of wheat flour, I now use almond flour, coconut flour, oat flour, almond meal and flaxseed meal. I've never really been much into baking, but in trying to eat more healthfully, I've been forced to now make /bake my own breads, tortillas/wraps, English muffins, bagels, breakfast muffins and coffeecakes, using any of those above substitute flours.

* I also use a lot more beans as side dishes now, especially black beans, navy and garbanzo.

* We eat a lot more raw walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, and some pecans for snacks now.

* I've never cared for canned vegetables, and so ramping up our fresh, in-season vegetables was easy enough. Fresh fruit, too.

I find many recipes that I can convert on the Keto websites, but we don't buy into all of the huge amount of fats (coconut oil, real butter, huge amounts of cheese, and animal fats) that they promote. DH keeps saying that a lot of the fat has to be ending up in their artieries, so we don't. But, I DO NOT want to get into a debate with anyone who follows the Keto way of eating. Please! To each his own!

(Sigh) And now my sweet DH is pushing (shoving) me/us towards a much more plant-based lifestyle. Meaning more vegetarian. And so, in the past two months, I've pretty much cut pork and beef out of our diets. We eat salmon or halibut usually twice a week. Skinless, boneless chicken breast once or twice a week. The rest are vegetarian meals.

And, you know, I guess because I love to cook (and eat), I've been finding some really good ones lately! As I've mentioned here before, I have a private healthy eating website with all my favorite recipes on it. . . . but that's just for our clinic's patients, our kids, my many siblings and their adult kids, as it also has too much identifying and private info about DH and myself to post it publicly.

But, our patients love it and that keeps me going.

** edited to add that mashed cauliflower is a great, healthy substitute for potatoes, as is riced cauliflower for rice. I’m lazy, though, and many times buy them already mashed or riced in Trader Joe’s frozen section. I also use them in making my herbed cauliflower bread and a pizza crust.

Yeonassky, I hope that perhaps you can find some things mentioned in this ongoing thread to entice your son to eat more healthfully. Annie's idea of getting him to read the Nutrition Action Letter is a great one . . . if he would actually read it. Ditto with diet possibly spurring on his migraines. I used to get them myself. Learned self-hypnosis got rid of them for me, but that's just me. As he does enjoy cooking when he's feeling well, perhaps getting him onto some of the many online healthy eating blogs and websites might encourage his cooking creativity . . . and more healthy eating. I wish you success!

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • ont_gal
    4 years ago

" (Can't help but wonder if there's a connection between what he eats and migraines.) "

There is.

yeonassky thanked ont_gal
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

So those new "impossible" burgers, and the "impossible" KFC to be tested in Atlanta soon, will count as "highly processed foods" (yes/no??)

DH and I have eaten minimally processed for a long time, for both budget and health reasons. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits in their season, whole grains, fish, lower fat meats, etc. We indulge in some food vices (ice cream and cookies for me, chips and pretzels for DH), but we don't go overboard with them. I love bread and baking, and substitute either white whole wheat flour or sprouted wheat flour in place of standard white flour in most every recipe. I don't drink soft drinks at all anymore, even in restaurants. It's either coffee, water, or (one) beer, depending on the time of day. Kefir or kombucha once in a while but those are fermented which is a good thing, I think.

I like Annie's idea of seeing if the young man would subscribe to a nutrition news letter. See if he can find an angle to healthy eating that appeals to him.

yeonassky thanked nickel_kg
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

We eat very few processed foods and almost no "goodies". The latter not as a self-discipline exercise but more that neither of us has much of a sweet tooth. A dessert once a month or less often would be about the rate, it's rare. We rarely eat ice cream, candy or chocolate things. We enjoy these when we do but not enough to eat regularly.

While we eat bread and try to do so sparingly, we eat no other grain products and rarely have nutrient empty carb things at home - no rice, we rarely have quinoa type things, rarely have pasta. When we do have the latter, it's either whole wheat or the alternatives not made with wheat.

yeonassky thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I'm apparently the exception in that I eat a lot of processed food (or at least I'm willing to admit it). Since my divorce, it's hard to work up much enthusiasm for cooking, so I eat a lot of frozen dinners. But I definitely am selective about my frozen dinners, generally choosing ones that are lower in calories, saturated fat, and especially sugar (a lot of frozen dinners are overly sweet to my taste), and relatively high in protein. If you want to start him with baby steps and stock up his freezer with better processed choices, here are some of my favorites:

Atkins crustless chicken pot pie, chicken and broccoli Alfredo, and beef merlot are comparatively high in vegetables and protein, and the chicken dishes have creamy sauces that might please him.

Amy's Mexican casserole, tortilla casserole and black beans, 3 cheese and kale bake, Indian mattar paneer, vegetable korma, and palak paneer. Their Thai Red Curry is really good and has lots of veggies but is higher in calories, saturated fat, and sugar.

yeonassky thanked cawaps
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

I love Atkins meals too. The ingredient list is much more recognizable than most frozen meals. I keep a couple in the freezer at work in case I am running late and don't have time to stop for food beforehand..

I love the beef merlot and the cauliflower rice bowls they offer.

yeonassky thanked amylou321
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm not sure that "carefully selected" prepared foods have any equivalency to freshly prepared, unprocessed food. You can't control ingredients and salt when you buy packaged food, no matter what you choose.

I understand being disinclined to cook, many experience that. Salads are always quick and healthy (watch what kind of dressing you use, a simple vinaigrette of olive oil and vinegar is easy). Get a book of 20 minute dinners, that's almost faster than going to a restaurant.

As others have said, fruits and veggies are always a good choice. Veggies sometimes take a bit of preparation but there are simple ways for good results. Buy a steamer insert for a pot, almost anything can be cooked quickly that way.

Good luck to all. Many of us struggle with trying to do a good job with food choices, there's no vacation from it.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Most of my foods are pretty unprocessed, in the sense of unhealthy processed foods. I have been known to pick up a bag of potato chips during road trips, but they don't come home with me.

The types of frozen food I buy don't really relate to truly processed foods: ATM I have frozen peas and frozen spinach, as well as frozen meat share items from local farmers. Oh, frozen baby ginger, too. And later this week I am going to start putting some of my home-grown cockerels (immature roosters) into my freezer - no, they are not Cornish Cross. Frozen home-cooked stocks and bone broths, and frozen home-canned tomato sauce that failed to seal properly when I hot-water-bath canned it. I freeze scallops when they go on sale nearby.

What I don't have are frozen TV dinners or the like.

So, really, nothing wrong with frozen, per se. Depends on ingredients, and what you are freezing. And it is almost impossible to find regular-style fresh peas anywhere.

As far as bought canned goods: I do have a selection of Amy's soups. Diced tomatoes, water chestnuts, artichoke hearts (this one is semi-iffy), mustards (iffy, depending on the mustard type), pumpkin, beets, low sodium and gluten-free soy sauce. For sugar, I only buy organic palm sugar (not raised in Indonesia), though I have packets of sugar and fake sugar lifted from fast food places when I stop in to purchase (unsweetened) ice tea - these are reserved for visiting friends who need their coffee or tea sweetened.

On the bad side, I do have a weakness for Five Guys bacon cheese burgers (wrapped in lettuce, not so much for the health factor, but because I can't stand hamburger bun taste). Another weakness for pizza, which since I've been road-tripping back and forth between my old and new home (2 hours) has often been located at a convenient mid-point. Thankfully, the old home is scheduled to be sold in a couple of weeks.

I just find that, by and large, minimally processed foods taste a lot better to me, and I really enjoy cooking. But I do need to do something about the potato chip jones...

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I don't think I made any equivalency between "carefully selected" prepared foods and unprocessed food, Elmer.

• Anne
    4 years ago

I grew up on my family farm. I arrived at college having never had canned (preserved, yes, commercial canned) food. I delighted in mac and cheese from a box and ramen but still cannot eat soup from a can.

After I had my children I went back to a mostly clean food diet but over the years I became addicted to diet soda and fast food too often, even if I made decent choices.

Now that it is just me and DH....last adult child finally flew the nest, we are doing better but we do eat out at least once a week and I am not going to pretend I am eating unprocessed stuff there.

I allow myself one diet soda a week and drink water or unsweetened tea otherwise.

What I have found is helpful and might not work for a person with a disability is buying all our salad greens, making things such as chicken or tuna salad to put on top (just a little dukes mayo) and making it easy for me to throw a salad together for lunch to take to work and my retired husband to throw together at home. I hard boil eggs as well and make hummus and have flatbread for snacks.

Then dinner is preplanned for most nights protein and veggies and usually enough for two nights and then a night out.

I eat oatmeal most days for breakfast and hubby doesn't really eat breakfast.

Having it done ahead makes it less likely to be lazy if I work a really long day.

Something I have noticed in some folks who are disabled and unable to get out and about much, is that food is an emotional comfort...and I can understand. I personally cannot adhere to the never kind of diet but perhaps he can make small changes?

I wish him luck!

yeonassky thanked Anne
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Anne just pointed out a very real and important fact! That for many disabled people who can’t get out much, food IS an emotional comfort! It’s definitely something to factor in.

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

I read years ago that you (the generic you) only have to be good 90% of the time in terms of eating and I continue to live by that.

@LynnNM - if you have a breakfast muffin recipe that is gluten free and are willing to share it I would love a recipe. My future DIL is celiac and I'd like to be able to make them for her.

yeonassky thanked blfenton
  • artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I have to admit, I have yet to find a single artificial sugar that remotely tastes good, and lacks an unpleasant aftertaste. Stevia, which I regard as healthy, tastes to me like what I'd suspect old gym socks would taste like - it's not even remotely sweet to me. (Maybe this is a genetic thing, like cilantro tasting like soap to many???) My reaction has been to dial back on sugars big time. You can make yourself prefer less sweet foods, but it does take time, and a willingness to do this.

One of my favorite beverages is chilled seltzer water with a good hunk of lemon or lime squeezed directly into it. This summer I've been making a lot of sun tea: heavy on Earl Grey for the caffeinated, and heavy on the Roobios types for the non-caffeinated evening sips. (I just bought a rooibos Earl Grey, btw - I have yet to taste it, but I hope I can make some good sun tea from it later this week...) And... I've always disliked sweet tea, even if I was born down south in Kentucky....

PS< yes I know the tea that keeps you awake has theobromine instead of caffeine, but I think you know what I mean...

yeonassky thanked artemis_ma
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Blfenton: I’d be happy to. I’ll try to post some in the next couple of days.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Thank-you.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Yeonassky: He's a good cook and competent in the kitchen but his energy isn't great when his migraines become more frequent. That can go on for months. Plus his interest in his own cooking wains and he doesn't love my much plainer fare.

Not sure what you mean by "plainer fare". Can you add more herbs and spices, at least to the portions you'd be serving DS? Is that something he'd appreciate? If you can't eat those, can you separate the base of the food into halves or whatever is an appropriate proportion - and season his to his tastes, and your section to your needs?

I know this is ONE reason I started bringing my own food to lunches at work. I didn't want bland, which a lot of the cafeteria work food entailed. (Well, that and relying on starches and sugars for "substance".)

yeonassky thanked artemis_ma
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

Since gluten is not developed in muffins you should be able to use any flour that you like in making them. However this will be an experimental thing as some flours absorb more liquids or need more fats to make them less dry. If you make gluten free pancakes and like them simply short the liquid and put the batter into muffin tins.

yeonassky thanked maifleur01
  • Anne
    4 years ago

I agree about sweeteners....sugar in drinks seems to upset my stomach (I am not diabetic, it just seems to make me nauseated although i can eat a piece of cake and be fine), stevia seems to be worse for me. I will use a little honey on occasion and obviously that one diet soda a week has artificial sweetener and I would almost swear there is something addictive about it.

yeonassky thanked Anne
  • Anne
    4 years ago

artemis....while I know bacon isn't the healthiest, I don't think five guys burgers are that bad....they are fresh ground.....can you enlighten me if I am wrong?

yeonassky thanked Anne
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

muffins can create gluten and I'm not taking the chance.

https://www.craftybaking.com/learn/baked-goods/quick-breads/types/muffins

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. It is so very helpful for me to get a cross range of experiences.

First DS has had all the tests and treatments available to us for his chronic migraines except deep brain stimulation. We have literally tried everything. Everything works for a short period of time but never lasts.

That includes diet.

His migraines are made worse in intensity by some foods like eggs but do not actually bring them on.

Nothing stops his migraines from coming. His meds only dull the pain. :(. Weather makes it worse as well.

He has other disabilities as well which have eternally affected his ability to work and be independent. I've had to be an involved mom for far longer than anyone expected.

I want him to not feel henpecked for want of another phrase so pick my battles. Since he has so few diet restrictions due to his lack of response to diet change I leave that to him as much as possible.

That said occasionally I interfere when I notice a health change not related to his illnesses.

One thing we're working on is his activity level as his chronic leg cramps were getting way worse ie nightly. He now can walk an hour and a half 3 times a week and is cramping way less. That took a year. The dogs love the change as they get an extra walk on those days. We're working up to 2 hours each time.

Today he walked for 2 hours and says his legs are killing him. We're not there yet... Cramps are literally a pain.

His weight gain and inability to maintain a lower weight, according to the doctors, is due to migraine related hypoglycemia. It is not affected one way or another by the sugary junk and pop! Darn!

I too have that condition but am able to eat less frequently than he has to. It is really difficult to diet when not eating makes you pass out... The meds affect his weight a bit but not much.

Even so I think it's time once again to tackle his eating as he is getting older and I worry about his sugars etc. He has never tested high for blood sugar in fact like me has always been low, but we all know what middle age and beyond can bring. His blood pressure is low as is mine as well. His heart and organs are checked regularly and are fine. So since he has no side affects of the food he eats I might not convince him to change things long term. :(

He's not much of a bread eater but loves creamy pasta and meat heavy pizza. He also loves and adores sushi and requests that as a comfort food when things are bad.

The dietician he saw told him to eat as much variety as possible and to apportion his food evenly throughout the day.

He does that but consumes extra calories in the treats and pop.

He doesn't have much choice and pleasure in life so to his mind the pop and treats give him that. Yes it is emotional comfort as pointed out above. Sigh...

My disabled sister has the same outlook but has diabetes. I don't want that for DS.

I'm going to test things out with him. He's agreed to eat more home cooking for a few months. Maybe it'll stick or maybe I'll be eating a lot of creamy veggie lasagna. :)

He has said he won't stop the pop. Oh well maybe more veggies will help him to be strong enough to not get diabetes. Here's hoping.

Thanks again for your collective interest and experiences. Much appreciated.

DS said he would think about what you wrote. Maybe he'll take your word for stuff...

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I eat very plain food and whole grains only. He wants cheesy creamy salty sweet. Plus it can't have whole grains in it. He doesn't like my cooking to put it bluntly. I have to use his ingredient favourites for him to eat it.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I get cramps if I eat most spices and I get migraines if I eat white rice flour and sugar .

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I want him to not feel henpecked for want of another phrase so pick my battles -- yeonassky, you are a wise woman. Good luck to you and your son, that's a lot to deal with.

I saw an Alton Brown episode last night, he made a creamy chocolate chia pudding. Looked delicious, and fun to make if your son would enjoy using a blender. I also looked up another recipe that isn't so complicated and I might actually make because it looks so good. Links:

chocolate-chia-pudding

alton-brown/chocolate-chia-pudding

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

Yeonassky, DH was also plagued with almost nightly, many times intense, leg cramps last year. Most during the night, but also some during the day. So frustrating . . . and exhausting for him! It took him almost half a year to finally figure out how to stop those leg cramps! What was the solution? WATER! He was not drinking enough water! Yes, he drank coffee, some water and his morning smoothies every day, wine and water with dinner, etc., but that apparently was not enough! But, once he upped his daily water intake (NOT just any liquid), to about 60 ounces a day he tells me, the leg cramps went away. When he forgets, they come back. Please relay this to your son. Those leg cramps are miserable and one can lose so much needed sleep working through them! It’s definitely worth an educated try.

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Hmm. It doesn't hurt to spread the word but I thought it was well known that leg cramps can be "helped" by drinking more water.

I think any fluid other than those known to have dehydrating effects (like coffee/tea/other caffeine drinks and those with alcohol - beer/wine/spirits) will work but of course water is no-cal and cheap.

Moderation in all things. Drinking a glass of water before each meal (an added 24-36 ounces) may be enough but it's easy to experiment. An added benefit. you'll eat less. I don't think anyone needs to be among the numerous goofy people walking around constantly sipping water from a bottle or jug. My favorites are the people I see at the gym, usually women, who seem to take a big drink every 5 minutes and then need to interrupt their aerobic work every 20-25 minutes to go into the locker room. Presumably to rid themselves of the excessive water they drink but losing the benefit of the sustained exertion. For them, it may be more healthful to drink less water, or at least to not drink so much when they're in the middle of a workout.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Has he tried Zevia brand soda? They are sweetened with stevia. I use them with a shot of heavy cream when doing low carb and it tastes like a float. It might be a good alternative to sugary soda and the nasty stuff in diet soda.

Does he take magnesium? I get a lot of muscle cramps if I'm low in it. Same with vitamin D. I had my doctor test my levels.

yeonassky thanked Chi
  • Anne
    4 years ago

Elmer...I am one of those goofy people who drink water all day from my insulated cup. It is better then soda all day

yeonassky thanked Anne
  • User
    4 years ago

For two years, we didn't eat any processed food (with the exception of a few condiments) and lost 50 pounds. I need to get back on to that wagon again. Right now I eat too much processed food, but not nearly as much as I did before I ate the Ketogenic way.

yeonassky thanked User
  • llitm
    4 years ago

My DH is lactose intolerant but can get the same symptoms with artificial sweeteners.

We eat almost zero processed foods.

Magnesium is a wonderful thing! I've known many people who have benefited from the implementation of mag supplements (leg cramps and sleep issues). It has made a world of difference in my quality of sleep.

yeonassky thanked llitm
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I was going to suggest magnesium as well. I was just talking about it with a friend who finally started taking it regularly and finally has relief from her night time leg cramps.

And wondering if your son takes any supplements? If his diet isn't optimal, a decent 1 a day type multi along with a B complex might help make up for it. And men need calcium too; a good cal-mag supplement couldn't hurt either, I think...?

yeonassky thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Beautifully - and wisely- said, Tish!

yeonassky thanked LynnNM
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

Back when I was younger I worked at a hospital and found out about the dangers of drinking too much water. Besides removing too many of the bodies electrolytes there is something called water intoxication. Later several people passed out at work because they thought drinking lots of water was healthy. The one that worked in the area next to mine was shocked when she was told that she needed to increase her salt intake because her water intake had removed too much. Water is good for your body but too much can cause major problems.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

I'm still stuck trying to figure out why everyone wants to change his ways. Shouldn't he be the one wanting to change his ways for it to work?

yeonassky thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

rob333, you are one of the kindest persons I know on the internet and yes it's up to the individual to change his or her own ways. I think the young man's mom is simply asking for ideas and support -- not a way to force a miracle. You never know what might inspire or (eventually) get through to a person.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Four and half hours and building up to 6 hours of walking a week is great! You haven't mentioned his schedule at all but I'm just wondering if instead of 2 hours 3x a week, if sticking to 1 1/2 hours 3x and then adding an hour on a fourth day would be easier. It would get your son out a fourth day and not bother is legs as much. Speaking of which, I assume he's wearing appropriate and supportive foot wear for whatever type of walking and surface that he's walking on and to support the extra weight.

Would he think using a fitbit of some sort would be fun and interesting to track his exercise, sleep patterns, calories etc.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rob I'm sorry to say that he has no ambition to change his ways. Every single change that he has made has been through slow mini mini steps. He talks about the things that he would like to do but can't enact them without a great deal a guidance in that direction. He's disabled and that includes emotionally and mentally and physically. Sometimes he needs more help than other people.

No at this point it is not life and death for him to change his diet but I'm not asking for a complete shift. He can never stop eating or drinking sweet stuff and junk food completely anyway. I'm really hoping for more of a shift towards whole foods as well.

His body doesn't work right. So things like magnesium have had no effect on him. We both tried magnesium for our migraines and cramps to no avail. Bananas which are rich in potassium works for me and nothing works for him. He does take a multivitamin but he has to watch which brand he buys. Some of them cause him to have reactions.

I love the idea of a Fitbi! I'm getting him one of those!

He has absolutely refused to do any exercise 2 days in a row. I have to respect him for that as he knows the reaction his body will have and of course I see the reaction his body has. he is not in pain today but yesterday he was miserable for several hours. people who have migraines don't need more pain!

I figure if I can get him up to two hours three times a week we will be sitting pretty as they say. That is light years away from what we had a couple of years ago, which was he couldn't even do anything and it looked like he was bound for a wheelchair. He would have had to go into a home because I certainly can't lift him and my husband isn't here enough to help him.

Forgot to add that yes we drink lots of water. Both of us have to watch how much water though, as if we drink too much we get cramps.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

See that's the thing I'm thinking. I LOVE my mom. We even worked together for years. She suggested so many easy, reasonable things and it bounced off my thick skull. Until I was motivated. Then, I chose my way. I hope it goes well, and I wish you the most luck, just don't expect too much. Until he's ready. But you know that. You be smart people, so I know you know

:)

yeonassky thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

yeon, if you have not already done so ask your doctors for a blood test for electrolytes. Your comment about drinking too much and having cramps is a clue that the two of you may be low. The normal ones should be in the regular CBC, Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, and Calcium but magnesium and some of the others are separate tests. You may already have a copy of any blood work results for both of you so look at the results.

Low sodium runs in my father's family and I have a problem with it myself. When I become lower I start craving salty foods. It is a signal that I need to take action. It may be that your brother is answering his bodies cravings but lacks the ability to understand that he does not need all of what he is eating.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

rob, OP says her son is emotionally and mentally disabled, among other problems. How could your experiences with your mother and otherwise as an adult be relevant? It seems like his specifics are the real challenges, not teaching him nutrition.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Every person makes choices regardless of intellect level. Motivation matters.

You just want to jump on this train because you have some sort of agenda. You think everyone should eat the way you find acceptable.

Before you go there, there are people who have Downs syndrome, cerebal palsy, etc in my family. I deal with this daily. Since you will give me anecdotal evidence, that's what I'm giving you.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I have no agenda at all but people with special needs are just that. You and I can give all kinds of advice about what worked for us or what worked with our own kids or family members but if none of the situations relate to someone with special needs and without knowing the person involved, it's well intentioned but very likely not useful.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks mai Will ask drs if that's been tested lately for him. Mine are good.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Good to know Yeon I only mentioned it because of the relationship you mentioned to drinking too much water and having leg cramps.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Elmer I think anecdotes are good because they broaden our thinking sometimes. To me stories are important. Of course acting on the information without checking it out with professionals is not my style.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks mai. I did not think of that so every bit helps.