SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Dona Hybrid Seed Saving Question

aclum
14 years ago

Hi,

I got a packet of Dona Hybrid from Tomato Growers several years ago. I've been starting 3 or 4 seeds each year since and am down to my last few seeds. As Dona Hybrid is apparently no longer available, I'd like to try saving some seeds from this year's plant (for an F1 next year). While I haven't had any ripe fruit yet, I have lots of green tomatoes of good size (generally a bit larger and more than I ever recall having on Dona before). The plant's at the end of the row and the closest plant blossoming at about the same time is a San Marzano about 15' away (with a Santa Clara Canner and Black from Tula in between that blossomed much later - along with a bunch of assorted pepper plants). I'm thinking (hoping?) that there was no cross pollination between Dona and my other tomato plants.

This will be my first attempt at seed saving and I was thinking that it might be good "back-up" to send a few whole tomatoes to a few more experienced forum members who might also want to save seeds from the Dona Hybrid. In terms of mailing, it would be easier to mail a green (or just breaking) tomato than a ripe one. So.... (after all this extraneous stuff LOL) - my question is:

Can one collect seeds from a green tomato (either in that state or after additional indoor ripening) or does it need to fully ripen on the vine first?

BTW, although I grow mostly heirlooms and they're great, Dona Hybrid has been my earliest and most dependable tomato with a great taste "early" in the season.

Thanks!

Anne

Comments (9)