SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Garlic Rosemary Wine Jelly

nancyofnc
14 years ago

I'd like to make this since I have an abundance of both garlic and rosemary all year and always seem to have leftover white wine from parties and holidays. I found it at: http://bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Garlic-Rosemary-Jelly/5399/ (altered some by me).

""Garlic Rosemary Jelly

1¾ C dry white wine (usually I'd use sauvignon blanc)

¼ C white wine vinegar 5%

½ C finely chopped garlic

¼ C finely chopped fresh rosemary

3½ C sugar

1 tsp butter for reducing foaming (I never add butter)

3 oz. package liquid fruit pectin Certo

4 sterilized half pint mason jars, lids and bands

In a large pan stir together wine, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and sugar and bring mixture to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. If the mixture is foaming, add the butter. Stir in the pectin quickly. Keep stirring and bring mixture back to a full rolling boil for one minute, then remove from heat.

Skim foam and ladle jelly immediately into jars, filling to within ¼" from top. Wipe rims with dampened cloth and put on lids and bands. Place the jars in the BWB and boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let jars sit in the water for 5 minutes. Remove jars and place in a cool, dark place. It will start to set up within 24-hours.""

I'd think that the garlic would be pickled by all the wine and vinegar, and C. botulinum would be destroyed by boiling, but I need your expert opinions as to the safety of this since garlic is a low-acid food. I also have lots of dehydrated garlic that could be substituted (probably less than half the amount of fresh/cured garlic, and maybe pickle it for several days before using in the recipe? But doing that may result in a really weird tasting jelly when adding sugar to it in this recipe.)

Nancy, who hates winter because there aren't any fresh fruits to put up

Comments (2)