SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gymell_mn

Strange hummingbird behavior?

gymell
18 years ago

Last week at work I found a dead hummingbird outside near a door. The building is all glass so I guess it must have flown into the window. I buried it next to a nearby pond. So today I'm leaving the office, and there's a live hummingbird sitting on the sidewalk right outside a main door. I went over to it and it just sat there. I guessed that it might have hit the window and was dazed, but other possibilities would be that it's sick/starving or perhaps a fledgling just hanging out in a dangerous spot (although I'd think it's a bit late in the season here in MN for that.) Afraid it might get stepped on, I picked it up and it was completely docile, maybe dazed. I carried over by the pond out of traffic, where there are some flowers and trees. It sat in my hand for about 5 minutes, stuck its tongue out a few times, chirped a little and then took off to land on a low treebranch. It seemed more alert by that point, just sitting there, so I left. I just wonder what's going on with these hummingbirds, seems strange that I would find two of them in less than a week. Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (5)