SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_florida_gw

semi-wacky idea, need feedback

karen_florida
15 years ago

Hi guys - I have a somewhat weird idea I need some advice on: Here's the background..

I am loving having high raised planting beds, and I want to make more, but they need to be less unsightly than the ugly stacked-sandbags bed I made last season. That served the purpose and was cheap and easy, but my poor neighbors have suffered enough: I want to make something classier this time.

On the other hand, it has to be something easy enough that a fat, lazy, middle-aged woman who shall remain nameless :) can put it together by herself.

Here's the wackiness: My sister and I discovered pre-fabricated 6' by 3' sections of wooden deck railing at a box store - They're pressure treated wood, and already reinforced with several cross bars, and the distance between the slats is about two inches. We're thinking maybe we could staple window screening or canvas to the inside of each railing and make those the bed sides; and then try to attach something-we-have-not-found-yet to make the end panels.

What do you think? Would the dirt all fall out the screens? Would the bed be impossible to keep moist? I can think of problems, but the possibility of wooden beds I can put together with just a few screws is so tantalizing, I don't want to give it up yet: holler some advice at me!

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (16)