SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craiggy83

I need your feedback on a planting system

craiggy83
17 years ago

Hey Guys,

This is my first time posting at gardenweb, and I barely have any experience growing plants or anything for that matter. I am an electrical engineer and have a senior project coming up. I have decided to design a fast growing plant system that is semi automated. Some Ideas I have are monitoring and control of: temperature, humidity, CO2 levels, oxygen, light, water, and nutrients and all that. I want to try and do it by making my own nutrients to add to the water from say compost and other throw away junk. Pretty much I am asking the community if they can help me understand somethings.

Right now aeroponics seems like that best way to go, I was wonderig about a few things, keep in mind I want to control alot of the things by a controller or microprocessor.

Questions

What system do you guys believe would be the best to self contain and automate would aeroponics be good in your mind?

should I spray the roots, use a humidifier ? which works the best, I'm looking at a humidifier right now. The units I see have a power cord and somethign which looks like a nozzle? to you hook a pump to that?

What would be the easiest plant to do a test on when I finish the system? Any suggestions you guys have for ideas of making the system better.

In theory you would pick a plant (could be a complicated system), find some sort of specs to it. Then have a system that puts in Co2 measures it and give it the right amount, keeps nutrients flowing in along with oxygen, measure temperature and control it to try and form the optimal conditions to grow the plant. Anyways Im rambling and it is hard to discuss all my thoughts on here....let me know what you think, and would you be able to start seeds in a aeroponic system?

Thanks for all your help,

~Craig

Comments (9)