SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Blueberries have been berry berry bad to me

User
15 years ago

Sorry, I just had to quote one of my favorite SNL characters, Garrett Morris. You remember the 1975-1976 Weekend Update routine right Base-a-ball has been very very good to me? OMG, am I that old??? LOL

I have finally gotten around to preserving local blueberries purchased last summer and frozen and IÂve managed to mess up both my low sugar jam and pie filling.

I overshot the jelling point for the jam. After processing I ended up with something closer to cement glue than jam (it canÂt be spread). Would anyone have suggestions on how to salvage it?

Undaunted by my jam experience I moved on to the pie filling following the Bernardin recipe with one exception, I cut back on the Clearjel by half as others have suggested. It turned out great except my yield was about half of what the recipe suggested it should be. I pre-measured the 7 cups of blueberries called for before freezing using my FoodSaver. Could the freezing resulted in less volume? Any ideas on how I messed up and any guidance on use and measurement of frozen berries?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (4)