SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Liqueur making questions

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

I'm going to try my hand at making some liqueurs, recipes from a book I have called "The Herbal Pantry" by Emile Tolley. The recipe calls for vodka and white wine, although she says brandy can be substituted. Seems like the brandy I'm familiar with would be so strong tasting it would add an additional flavor that I'm not sure will be good or bad, so I'm wondering if I should just stick with the vodka that the written recipe has in it? Also what type of wine would be best? I'm thinking a dry white, or should I go with a sweet wine or med. wine?

Also, I don't know what to age it in. I don't have any big crocks and can't afford to buy them. I am thinking about aging it in quart canning jars, then storing them down in a cupboard in the basement. I'm just wondering about the lids, will they be OK? They are coated with enamel.

Then, when the stuff is finished, what should I put it in? I'm assuming I don't have to BWB. The recipe just says to seal tightly. I have some old rounded salad dressing bottles with long necks that I've saved and I'm wondering about using them?

I'm going to make the apricot thyme and ginger pear recipes.

Comments (22)