SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Labels

mellyofthesouth
18 years ago

There was a thread about decorating jars a while back. In my internet travels today I came across this site that sells 2 and 2 1/2 inch round labels for inkjet or laser in gold, silver and white. I think the gold ones would be elegant with a nice font on the gold lids while the white ones would allow more creativity and color. I can't deicde which to order. The price didn't seem too bad. I'd still use the sharpie on the lid for home use but I like to dress up the gift stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: labels

Comments (80)

• janice_in_ottawa
    17 years ago

Sorry, that gallery link went into the ether. Here it is below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Labels gallery

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Janice, those labels are absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful array of preserves.

Can you share the recipes for the thyme mustard and mango madness or are those proprietary?

Carol

• Related Discussions

Labels??-We Got Labels--Long post with pics

Q

Comments (6)
    BTW The editors at the Instructables site just e-mailed me that this one is also being featured. Been up less than 24 hours. If I wasn't so humble I'd be impressed with myself.
    ...See More

Labeled fireball hibiscus...

Q

Comments (11)
    That was the nursery plant, not mine. It was planted in full sun in Naples, Fl. Probably getting baked. It did look like they had watered in the last hour or so.
    ...See More

Plant labeling ideas?

Q

Comments (20)
    Cearbhaill and Ken, Thanks guys! I just measured the Wit's End Gardens labels, and they are 3/4in, not 1/2in, which is around $60 for the machine. Still not bad considering that I just paid that much for custom labels, which wouldn't be a problem if they had been done exactly the way I typed them out, but sadly they were not...which is why I'm now looking into making my own. From what I've gathered from you and Amazon and the Brother website, I need the tape that says laminated and indoor/outdoor. Amazon says that it withstands UV, heat/cold, and spills, which I did not see specified on Brother's website, but it's the same tape. Since the Wit's End labels are black print on white tape and stand out a bit too well in the garden (I don't need them visible from the street), I'll probably want to try clear tape with either black or white print...it'll be on the zinc plates so not sure what would look better on a silvery background. Editing to say that it looks like the model you guys recommended (that uses 1/2in tape) would work for my purposes too since it supposedly can do 2 lines (though I've not seen any pics). Might go with that, especially since it looks like the name plates on Amazon might not be as tall as the ones from Wit's End. Now to find the right stakes and plates... Wit's End says galvanized wire stems and zinc name plates whereas the cheap ones on Amazon claim to be stainless steel. Wit's stakes are also 10.5in tall whereas Amazon has 10in, 6in, and 4in stakes. Don't think I necessarily need 10in, but don't know if the 4in and 6in would heave out. Zen Man, Thank you for sharing the Kincaid website! Someone else recommended it earlier this year and so I've looked at it before. I like the selection, but figuring out how to price and order hasn't been as easy, and I keep getting a message that my connection isn't private, so I haven't gotten far. Out of the styles that they have available, the hosta stakes and plates I liked years ago looked the same as this https://www.kincaidplantmarkers.com/labeling-accessories/custom-printed-labels/ except that the hosta seller somehow etched or engraved the writing into the metal plate rather than sticking a label on it. And those were the ones I liked the most! Wish I knew what he used to do that, but imagine that whatever it is probably cost a lot... Doc Mom, The painted rocks are a neat idea too, thank you! Dee, What thickness are the plastic stakes you use? Thanks again to everyone <3 Love Esther's detailed photo instructions!
    ...See More

Rose Garden Labels? Metal? Plastic? Silver, Black, Copper...?

Q

Comments (8)
    Those copper tags are cute! I like that they go into the ground 10 inches. Maybe my chickens couldnt pull the tags off and run off with them as easily lol. I currently use those silver metal tags that you can press on with a pencil and kinda engrave them. They hold up pretty good. I have had some like 10 yrs! The wires end up breaking before the tag. I have to place tags up high via a wire onto the plants. Short plants around here, may not even have a tag due to critters.
    ...See More
  • robinkateb
    17 years ago

Janice, I lvoe your labels as well. What labels and software did you use to make the labels for the tops of the jars?

-Robin

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

If you have small sheets of labels under about 4x6 inches, they can jam in some printers. I would first use a full sized 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper and run that through the printer to see if all the printing lines up. Then place the small sheet of lables in front of the larger sheet of printed paper, and hold it up to the light. This will show the lettering through the labels and give you a good idea where the printing will end up. Then, after adjusting the text if needed, attach the small sheet of blank labels onto a full sized sheet of paper using some low tack tape. Scotch brand makes this, and is similar to the 'Post in" notes adhesive in a frosted tape. Once you have positioned the label sheet properly onto the sheet of paper, run this through the printer and it should give you a decent set of labels. You can easily remove the printed sheet of labels afterwards. I do this all the time with ovals as they are always too small to run though by themselves. Have tried all kinds of printing progams and prefer to use the Print Shop version 20, as it has custom paper settings you can adjust to suit virtually any sized label on any sized sheet.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I can tell I need to save this thread to my computer.

Thanks, Ken, for the tips regarding small label sheets. I've never tried those, simply because of the difficulties you mentioned. Now I can.

I also like Print Shop. It makes creating labels very easy.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janice,
    I really like your labels, too. I have not done anything with labels yet. I am thinking of doing little fabric caps, and I like the way you did hang tags. I have card stock, a paper cutter, and plenty of ribbon. The other thing I do is save the little pieces of elastic that keep shoes together in places like target. When we get new shoes for the girls, I always squirrel those away, and any gold ones that come on any kind of gift.

I hope you have good luck with the bows. I found it pretty easy, once I got the hang of it. It is much easier using the wire to keep it together than trying to tie one.

Melly

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

> With luck I'll score some floaty pepper jelly out of the trip. ;-)

Zabby,

Hope you got some! I think Janice's Far-Out Floaty Pepper Jelly recipe was my first attempt at making pepper jam or jelly.

> I am tickled that you still have that hab sauce jar. Would you like a refill? I just picked a basket of habs this morning and was planning to make sauce on this rainy weekend. I think I still have your coordinates.

Janice,

You betcha! Still at N 39°21.478' W 094°42.841' Nice to 'see' you again.

JohnT

• zabby17
    17 years ago

John, I'm happy to say, Janice came through with pepper jelly indeed. She found a jar somewhere suitable to my measly mid-hot tastes.

Janice, glad you could pop into this thread. Thought you'd be glad to know your labelling prowess was legendary!

Deanna,
    Thanks for pointing out that By the Sheet site! What a great resource. Looks like they have a few 1 x 2 inch ovals as well!

I think my pantry may be a bit better looking by next year.

Zabby

• janice_in_ottawa
    17 years ago

Carol, the thyme mustard comes from a Canadian book that I like to use, the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving by E. Topp. Let's see:

Basic Coarse Mustard

1/3 cup mustard seeds
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1 clove garlic, halved
    3 tbsp water
    3 tbsp liquid honey
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

1. combine mustard seeds, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 36 hours.
    2. Discard garlic. Process mixture in a food processor with water until coarse consistency. Stir in honey, salt and cinnamon.
    3. Add 3/4 tsp dried thyme (or other flavourings)

The mango sauce is just a slight variation on a recipe that you see around the web a lot.

Belizian Style Habanero Hot Sauce

1 small onion -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup carrots -- chopped
    2 cups water
    3 Habanero chilies (3 or 4) -- minced
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt

* I added one ripe mango, then added some lemon juice to keep the acidity up.

Saute onion in oil until soft. Add carrots and water.Bring to boil,reduce heat,and simmer until the carrots are soft. Remove from heat. Add chilies, chopped mango, lime juice, lemon juice and salt to the carrot mixture. Place in processor and puree until smooth. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
    (Origin: The Habanero Cookbook , Dave DeWitt & Nancy Gerlach)

As for the tops of the jars, I don't really have any special software for that. I just use the drawing tools in MS Word and insert some clip art from Microsoft's clip art galleries. They have loads of good stuff. Just had pancakes this morning with Zabby's special blackberry apple sauce on 'em. Very nice! :) Okay JT, watch your mailbox.
  • readinglady
    17 years ago

Thank you! If I'd known it was from Small-Batch Preserving I could have saved you the typing. I'm a big fan of Ellie Topp's book, but there still are recipes I haven't gotten to yet.

My habs are ripe and I've seen plenty of mangoes in the store, so that's perfect. The lime is a nice touch.

Carol

• babylark
    17 years ago

I saved myself trying to find the "right" label for my jams that I entered in competition this summer and just printed my custom shaped "label" on kraft paper (a grocery bag that I cut to 8 1/2"x11"). I printed my information out and cut it out with scissors. Then I just glued it on the jars with white glue.

They looked really great. I've not tried to remove them yet, but I don't think it should be too difficult.

I would offer to design labels for anyone interested. I'm a graphic artist. It would be something fun to do.

Also...if you are looking for a program that offers a large variety of precut label sizes. I use MyMailList to make my price tags for my store. You can easily make a "custom" sized label with the label builder. Then you can also store all the labels you may need to make.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

babylark,

Do you have pictures of your labels to share? They sound great!

I think a custom size/shape would be ideal, though when one makes a big batch of something all that cutting out could get to be a chore (maybe if my 10-year-old niece comes to visit again I can subcontract that part to her!). For pints and up I figure I can use about anything that'll fit.

The annoyance is the small jelly jars --- half-pint and half-cup jars almost all come with raised patterning over most of them except for a small oval spot. Since I have a small household, I make a lot of stuff in those small jars, even things like salsa and tomato sauce and dilly beans. So I've been hunting for printable labels in that size for a while --- they're surprisingly hard to find.

Zabby

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Okay JT, watch your mailbox.

Janice,

Did & done!

Very much appreciated! Tomorrow is football (not the round kind) & cooking on the deck day. Might be the last warm day for a long time. Anyways, have some pork chops marinating in lime juice and some spices in the fridge for grilling. Your hab sauce will be the crowning glory! Will probably do some bird too.

Don't think that I have your current email (might on old computer) so will thank you here. Will definately reciprocate as soon as can think of something appropriate. My fermenting sauces experiments are still weeks away before can try & even longer before will dare share.

Thanks!!!

jt

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

OH Zabby, how I remember hunting for those labels. There was always oval ones, but they did not fit the oval window that we used to find on the jars (which by the way is not there on newer jars, or at least not on the jars I buy). I finally designed my own and because I need ingredients and all that info, it is larger than it used to be. I tried to enter a jpeg photo of it here but don't know how to do it. Maybe someone can help. I am also from a Fine Arts background, and toyed around with the idea of designing labels for a while. Maybe I should lol.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see mine, please send instructions..... I guess I am not that computer literate. My jam making skills are much better.

Marie

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are directions here:

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I add pictures to my posted messages?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Marie,

Many of my friends use this free storage site: photobucket

It will automatically create a code tag that you can copy and paste into your message. Excellent tutorials too.

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket tutorials

• smokey98042
    17 years ago

A word of caution. If you use the self adhesive labels, be sure to remove all traces of them before washing the jars in the dishwasher.

The paper can break down into many fibers and these can plug the filter screen inside the dishwasher. This can result in a very expensive repair (don't ask how I know.)

If you are gluing plain paper labels a glue stick works very well and comes right off with a rinse in hot water.

• jessyf
    17 years ago

P-Touch rules - bwahahaha. Reusable labels that don't come off in the dishwasher and leave no residue. On the downside, they aren't as pretty as the works of art I've seen here.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Janice,

What software did you use to print your oval labels? The two below are driving me nuts!

.75" Circle

1.5" x .75" Oval

I didn't order from worldlabel.com, but they have the best descriptions. I ordered from here: officesupplyfactory.com

I've been canning, fermenting and powdering up a storm lately & almost ready to test the Canadian customs system again. You know how (can we say anal here?) I can be about small details such as labels.

jt

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I've ordered from onlinelabels.com and had excellent luck. They have a template page with templates for standard labels, including ovals, that can be downloaded into a variety of programs.

Here's the page. I hope it helps.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Labels Templates

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Suggest you look at Print Shop version 20. It has many label types and sizes, including the ability to set up custom sized labels. There hasn't been a label sheet size yet that I wasn't able to print to. When the sheets are small, I use low tack tape to hold them onto a regular 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. The custom label setup within Print Shop can print a single or sa sheet at a time, with as many columns and rows that you need, as well as adjustments for horizontal and vertical spacing, and margins. Most of mine are round 2 inch, when 2 inch circles were not sold by any maker, that was over 3 years ago. I had found a company in NH that made me 1000 sheets with 12 circles on each sheet. Enough to last me a while.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

I just ordered The Print Shop Delux ver 21 a few minutes ago.

Hopefully it will be intuitive as I hate studying manuals. I have PrintMaster 3,4,8 & 11 Gold and am hoping will be similar.

Thanks!!!!

jt

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Yes, PS is very intuitive. I am the ame way when it comes to written manuals, and don't bother to read them unless I am totally stumpted. Its nice to know that there is a new version 21, as my version 20 did have a few minor kinks which didn't affect the custom label making. The product is so big now it comes on a DVD disk instead of a smaller sized group of CD's.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

It's a breeze to use, but I'm not having much luck with 2" circle stock that I was going to use on regular lids. Apparently there are more than 1 type being mfg and the one I ordered from the place that would sell by the sheet is an oddball. The Word template just will not work. Ditto the 3/4" round. I can't find a template for the oval labels was going to use.

The labels I ordered on the 3rd arrived on the 15th. Grrr!! Don't guess there will be any Christmas jars & am now shooting for New Years.

Wasted an entire day using info from the Word template. The Custom Paper Wizard will only allow 3 places after the decimal point and the Word template has 4 in some places, but I can't see that being the problem. So I tried printing from Word. Terrible. So then I download a free trial program from the place that has the templates. Terrible results. And I can't find my good rulers so will have to buy next time go to town.

So... I now have rearranged the graphics etc so that 1 label on a sheet of 20 prints correctly. Turn the paper upside down and can print a 2nd. So only 9 more to go. LOL Tedious, but will work.

Recent update to Explorer7 was driving me nuts so yesterday installed the new Firefox. Love it!!

jt

Here is a link that might be useful:

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Not sure if like label on side of jar or lid at the moment. Probably the lid. If had oval labels would be the side for sure.

Anyways, there will be a couple jars heading for Ottawa on Monday and hopefully towards Colorado too.

JohnT

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Within the Print Shop, there is a CUSTOM LABEL option. Here, you define each diameter, how many rows and columns, as well as edge spacing, and spacing vertically and horizontally. You don't need to calculate out to 3 decimal places as no home printer is capable of being THAT accurate. Two decimal places is fine. When I set up the custom sizes, I print on a plain sheet of paper, then hold a sheet of BLANK labels in front of it to check alignment for each while its all being held up against a bright light. Ovals are also listed, and can be custom adjusted as well as position and size. The ovals I have are only 3x6 sheets, so they need to be attached to a sheet of plain paper prior to printing The two inch rounds are usually meant for the regular mouth lids, where they fit nicely within the metal rings. I must assume that the white plastic lid you stuck yours to has a sealed metal lid underneath.. In some cases, you also have to use the custom adjustments when dealing with standard label stock too. There is also a printing alignment that can be done to adjust the vertical positioning if the printing is skewed. The printing alignment is located in a different tab area from the custom label settings. Word, has no easy way to print the labels, and because it tends to only let you to set up a single custom label, it is limited. In the past, I have even found a preprinted round label with a green wreath on it like yours have. The centers are left blank for the user to add whatever text they like. I even made some with a huge round tomato as a red background, while adding white lettering in the center. Now, I even use the watermark feature on some to have them say: "please return the empty jars" in diagonal text with a light gray coloration.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

Thanks much!

I'll have more questions for sure. My cheapo printer is supposed to print borderless, but for some reason clips the right side no mater what I do. Granted, even though the label sheet scan I made isn't exactly perfect it should have been good enough. I wanted it to practice on. Photo #3 PrintShop

JohnT

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

With the custom adjustments in PS and using plain paper, before committing a sheet of labels, you should be able to tweak the positions. My sheets come out of the printer upside down, so any corrections on the screen are usually opposite of how they show up on the paper. If I don't see much improvment after changing a few of the numbers after the decimal, I will then try changing a whole number to see what major effect it has on the sheet. If there is none, I leave the older setting and try a different measurement change elsewhere. I print using an HP Office Jet G85xi printer, where the color ink cartridge costs me $50, and its not even photo quaility. It was a free printer my old boss gave me, so it works fine for my needs. There is an OFFSET adjustment, but that usually only applies to hoe much vertical displacement is needed. When I made the 'graphic square' for each round label, I made the square a 2 1/4 inch size, so there was full bleed to the edges of each circle. My custom cut sheets only have 12 rounds per sheet, with 3 across and 4 down, so I have plenty of room to play with.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

> When I set up the custom sizes, I print on a plain sheet of paper, then hold a sheet of BLANK labels in front of it to check alignment for each while its all being held up against a bright light.

Ken,

Excellent suggestion! I've been working on the 2" rounds much of the afternoon and that was most helpful.

> My sheets come out of the printer upside down, so any corrections...

So do mine. Irritating at first, but have gotten used to it. My printer didn't cost much, but has very excellent print quality. I do a lot of CD and DVD printing directly on the discs which is why I chose the Epson 260. Uses 6 diff ink cartridges. Is an ink hog, but the smudge and water resistant qualities of the ink make it the best inkjet that I've owned.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken or anyone,

Not sure what am doing wrong. Everything looks good in the Custom Paper Wizard:

But when trying to create a new label the template (highlighted) won't load:

I end up with a blank sheet of paper to work on instead of the expected .75" x 2" square with oval outline in it.

Help!

jt

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Must assume that you started with a regular label size that was previously listed as a standard. The custom settings allow you to make changes to its size, shape, spacing, width, height, and many other things. Be sure that the printer your using using is set to the default. It may be that you have a problem with the installation of the software, or there is some kind of bug in the program or elsewhere. Sometimes if you set things wrong, the program will not accept the new settings, or will default to something else, as well as if you have set up a custom size without having some kind of original as the base to start from. When I make a label, I usually start with a standard size thats listed, then make an actual label from it, then set the custom sizes, then save the work as a template. After making a working template, I go back, to using it to make other labels. Basically, I wipe out all printined info on the new label I plan to make, then add the new graphics, text, etc. Then save this new label as another file. Once you create a custom size and shape, save it so you can refer back to it when you want to make changes, or want new text for another canning project. I have about 35 two inch rounds as seperate files, and also have several oval files. It may be that Print Shop version 21 has a bug, as I have only been using version 20 all this time. Suggest that you try the above and if it saves a single label setup as a file, and you can modify all of whats involved, you should be fine. If not, suggest that you contact the software maker, Broderbund and see if they have discovered a problem, where a fix might help you. Once created, a custom size and type, I will go back and use this same file and just replace all the info thats printed on it, then save the new file. Other than that, I can't help further unless I am also using version 21 and Windows XP (assume your operating system?) here. I do notice some subtle changes in the custom wizard in version 21, as my version 20, I believe, had three different pages of customizing settings before the 'finish' option.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

Thanks much!

I almost had it. Then for some reason the printer wanted to print landscape instead of portrait. Been having problems with the 3 week old printer anyways so brought it back to Sam's Club and exchanged for a new one this morning. Will install as soon as send this and give the label another try. I learned a whole bunch trying to make this oval and if can ever get it to print portrait will go back and redo the circle.

Decided to put the screenshots in an album (below). No storyline but will make sense to those with PrintShop.

jt

Here is a link that might be useful: PrintShop template attempts

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Printer was the problem New printer installed and even though labels not perfect think can make adjustments to top and bottom margins and will be right on. Side margins and gaps are almost perfect and maybe an adjustment of .001 would suffice.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

The red border is from Insert - Shape - Circular - Hollow

How can I get the right edge to the outer border of this 2" wide label? The left edge is nicely on the left border. I can only get this:

Or this:

This is on a Custom Paper Wizard template for a .75" x 2" oval label. Disregard that the black outline doesn't line up with the graphic as it prints OK on certain rows and columns.

The template isn't perfectly aligned & I guess never will be. I want a border. If I can get the red border to the outer edges and widen it the misalignment is less obvious to the eye on the printed label. If there is white showing on the edges the misalignment is obvious. Make sense?

Another possibility:

And Merry Christmas everyone!

JohnT

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

For the circle, suggest that you do in fact fill the outer area. Even though it goes out into a rectangle, you will then have full bleed which will cover everything out beyond the ovals inner area. Instead of a white center, you could also have a red center (or lighter color) and white or black lettering, or a shadow of black on white, or a radient glow as an outline for the text to show up better. Suggest that you go back to the custom settings and increase or decrease the horizontal spacing slightly so that the ovals will have a slightly wider width. For top and bottom placement, I found that you only need to make a single adjustment there so that vertical position will move everything up, or down slightly. It does take a lot of tweaking and side to side is the most difficult to adjust, due to the designs of most home printers. For each batch of rounds, I also have to make minor adjustments using the printer page setting adjustments in the printing pulldown. The red oval, can be wider width, or create two ovals, one for inner size, and one for the outer size. My original 2 inch squares boxes for the 2 inch rounds had exactly 2 inches of width and height, which were very hard to get sides and tops to cover, so I redefined the 2 inch square to be 2 1/4 inch, and now the circle's edges get full bleed, even if the 2 1/4 inch square's edges are off slightly.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

I've been so busy filling and labeling vials and shakers of hot powder, labeling canning jars and packing boxes to ship that have not had time to play with labels. I needed aprox 50 labels each (the rounds and ovals) so printed only on rows and columns that I knew lined up and went with that for the time being. Mailed the last box this morning. Canned a doz 1/2 pints of chipotle garlic cloves on Thurs that will absolutely knock your socks off. Needs to sit a month or so though. After a doz or so recipe variations think have really got a good one now.

So many different projects going that it is wearing me down. I think I understand everything in your post & will try again in a week or two.

Thanks!

JohnT

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

When I print labels for a canning project, I usually print an extra sheet or two. One thing about printers and labels is that don't seem to feed well through the printer once they have been through there once before. This is especially true when you use a laser printer and its heating up the whole sheet. Keep a watchful eye on your sheets when printing. If you suddenly notice a missing label, stop the printing and look for it to be stuck inside someplace.

I am the same way here, as I have so many things going on all the time, many never get finished. Today, I cannot believe the temperature outside. Its as if I was living in Florida. We are having a really warm spell (in January!). Today, it reached over 70 degrees here, and I see some small outdoor bugs hatching early. If the bug haching continues, there's a good chance that a really cold snap will kill off at least one generation of bugs.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

The size oval label I want to make just doesn't exist. Has anyone used one of the trimmers in the link below?

If so... does it do oval shapes?

JohnT

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotary Paper Trimmer

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Just heard from Beth in Texas saying that they are straight line only.

So back to the drawing board. I want 1/2" high by 1-1 1/2" wide oval labels because my new glass hot powder shakers are tapered from top to bottom and a rectangular label just looks out of place.

jt

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Suggest that you try the company I had 2 inch rounds custom made for me a few years ago, when no one had 2 inch rounds in an 8.5"x11" sheet. They have a minimum tooling and setup charge, but if you oder a 1000 sheets, the cost is minimal. If the sheets contain 20 ovals, thats 20,000 labels!! The ovals you mention, are they the same used on jelly jars that fit in that indented oval area on the sides of the 1 cup and half cup jars? I selected a medium weight, glossy, self adhesive stock which works well in both an ink jet or laser printer. Here is the source info for the company in NH that made my case of 2 inch rounds.:
    Mike Blaudschun
    Account Manager
    Electronic Imaging Materials
    800-535-6987 Toll Free
    603-357-1459 Phone
    603-357-1542 Fax

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken writes: > ...but if you oder a 1000 sheets...

Holy smokes!!

I'm pretty generous for a poor pensioner & have shared several 100s of seed packets and hot pepper powder vials to my chile-head friends in 14 countries over the last 1/2 doz years. They all had labels because I like making labels probably due to some repressed unfulfilled artistic desire to express myself.

Nevertheless, I thank you for the info. And who knows, I just might give them a call.

I am going to figure this out. Maybe a thin metal template, an Exacto tool & a couple of beers. Something. I might need 100 or maybe 200 total labels over several years.

Thanks!

• belindach
    17 years ago

There are drafting templetes you can buy at most office supply stores. This could give you the shape you want and than you could trace and use your handy dandy scissors. You might be able to type within the oval tracing and than cut. It isn't a perfect solution but could hold you until something better comes along.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Some time ago, a company I work for used a hockey puck and a chunk of metal as a die to make some specific sized rounds, in metal foils. If you can get someone to make you an oval shaped solid shaft in the diameter you need that has a sharp cornered end, you place the adhesive backed sheet on the puck, and place the die on top of the label material and hit it with a hammer. It should neatly cut the oval, provided it was a good blow, and the edges of the oval shaped die are sharp. Aside from that, you can also try selling the extra labels you order from Electronic Imaging on eBay or something similar., or go with a few peoples similar needs. The 1000 sheets I had are now down to only about 300, so thats not too bad for 4+ years of continual use. I may have lost about a dozen sheets due to misalignment in my printer, which is minimal.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Belinda, (I'm guessing is your name)

I'll check your suggestion out at local office max or online stores. Rather doubtful I will find the dimensions that I want though. I'm thinking a piece of tin, my Dremel tool and Exacto knife will end up being what I use.

Ken,

Kinda a phone phobe here. (seriously) And haven't had fax capability since quit using a computer phone several years ago. Can you give me a ballpark figure for 1,000 sheets? I'm just anal enough about my labels to place an order. LOL

jt

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

My 1000 sheets of 12 two inch round labels ran about $240 I recall. That including tooling and setup charges. Tooling is actually the making of the cutting die and setup is for setting up the dies in a punch press. The paper grades and types are numerous, so I opted for a medium weight removable adhesive. The glossy surface isn't as much as a photo glossy, more like a magazine type soft gloss. The label weight (thickness) was such that it would block out any printed words on the metal round lids of regular mouth quart and pint jars. It fits nicely in the circle of the lids. The source below has a 3/4 inch by 1 7/8 inch oval. Also, found 1/2 x 1 3/4 inch rectangle as a closeout at this link: http://www.planetlabel.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/10_17/products_id/125
    and: http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL6025.htm
    And then the jelly jar types:
    http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=PP0016

Here is a link that might be useful: Oval labels

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Ken,

Thanks again.

I have .75 inch oval, but really need .5 inch height. I might try trimming off a few hundredths inch top and bottom to see how that looks. Doubtful if will work to my satisfaction, but maybe.

jt

• bluejean
    17 years ago

JT,

Have you tried labelsbythesheet.com? They have oval labels. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oval Labels by the Sheet

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I believe some of the label sources also offer custom sizes that you can specify. They may need a minimum order, and be less cost per hundred sheets than I paid for. Mine figured out to be about $23 per pack of 100 sheets, so the 1000 sheet minimum cost wasn't too bad.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Bluejean,

Thanks for the link, but they only go down to .75 inch height as does every other place that I have checked. I see you are a lep fan too.

Ken,

I'm going to try trimming the .75 x 1.5 inch labels and see how that looks before having custom made. And I think you understand my need for labels to look 'right'.

Thanks all!

jt

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Keep in mind that 1/2 inch height is quite narrow for any text. It would interesting to see if anyone ever made a label that would position flat on a curved or tapered bottle. Thos kinds are crescent shaped and I never see any. I guess you could use a paper cutter to chop off the extra hieight of a 3/4 inch one. At least the width is the same as you needed. If these are run through a printer, you would have to run the full sheet through, then cut to size afterwards. At the top of this thread, is the standard oval that Ball makes for the jelly jars. Cutting off the tops and bottoms to a height of 1/2 inch would make it look a bit odd too. If your putting text in there, it should will be less than about 14 point lettering, to get it in the center.