SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Using homemade apple pectin

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I was making apple butter yesterday, decided to try making pectin again with the cores and peels (last batch sat in fridge a couple of days uncovered so I threw it out). So, I used 1.75 lbs of peels and cores, 3.5C water, and 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp bottled lemon juice trying to follow Small Batch page 46 recipe. Let it sit overnight but it didn't get any clearer, so decided to can it today. Alcohol test worked (loose set, strings hanging from fork) on cold pectin, and then I reduced it from 3C to 2C while getting it hot enough to process so I figured it would have gotten firmer, though I didn't cool it and test it again.

I canned 12 oz of it, and used 8oz with 1 lb of frozen strawberries, 1C of sugar, and 1 tsp of lemon juice (thawed the berries with the sugar, then cooked down, mashed, added pectin and lemon juice and boiled hard). So I don't really know why the strawberry jam didn't set up. I used the saucer test and it seemed fine, though not really firm (I didn't want it like gum, the way my blackberry jam turned out), but even the little bit I put in the fridge hasn't set up. It's more of a "slurry". I figured on getting maybe a pint and a half since 1 lb of berries would normally yield a pint (according to Linda Ziedrich in Joy of Jams), but I only got 15-16 oz and it's runny.

According to Linda Z, 1C of pectin should work with *3* lbs of fruit. Ellie Topp just says to use 1C of fruit (or juice) for 1C of pectin and 3/4C sugar, no more lemon juice. All the recipes in Small Batch call for commercial pectin.

So, when using homemade pectin, what ratio of pectin to (low-pectin) fruit *do* you use? Did I not have enough sugar (Linda Z's small batch of strawberry jam uses 1C for 1lb fresh berries, no added pectin) since I probably had a couple of cups after thawing and mashing? Or did I not have enough lemon juice?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert