SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Kitchen Aid fruit/veg. strainer ?'s

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Had a couple of questions in my photo thread, but wasn't sure anyone would see them there, so thought I would post the questions separately.

I'd like to make applesauce tomorrow. The past couple of years, I've used the apple peeler/corer that attaches to your countertop, then boiled the apples until soft, pureed them in the food processor, then back to the pan to add the sugar, lemon juice, etc. I have the Kitchen Aid fruit/veg. strainer attachment, and read reviews of the product where people used it for making applesauce. They simply quartered and boiled the apples, then ran them through the strainer, no peeling or coring necessary. I certainly like that idea, but I don't want to end up with a puree so thin that it is like baby food. I like a little texture to my applesauce. Not big chunks, but a homemade feel if you know what I mean.

If anyone has used the strainer for making applesauce, please let me know what kind of consistency you ended up with.

Another question relating to the fruit/veg. strainer.

The grape jelly I made today with Reliance red grapes turned out green rather than red. I used the Kitchen Aid strainer attachment to make the juice. Should I have cooked the grapes before running them through? I was hoping for a nice amber color, and was disappointed.

Oh, on the plum jam I made yesterday, I decided to leave the skins on, and also wanted a thicker texture, so instead of using the strainer attachment, I used the course meat grinder attachment instead. Worked like a champ! Just need to remember not to put too much pressure on the plunger, or end up wearing the plums. Ask me how I know, LOL!

Bonnie

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH