SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

Is it possible to dehyrdate veggies too much?

aubade
14 years ago

So I finally just bought a new dehydrator to preserve my garden's pickings. I've got an assorted batch of stuff in there right now - hot peppers, tomatoes, bell peppers, squash and sweet potatoes. I know each of these things have different drying times, and I'm trying to go by what it says in the recipe book that came with it, but the ranges of hours are pretty large, and since this is my first time ever dehydrating something I really have no idea what they're supposed to be like.

I'm definitely going to be storing these things, not eating them right away as raw foods. So I figure I want them to be as dry as possible. Some of the hot peppers (kung pao) were thin and clearly got dry enough quickly, so I took those out. But other things, like the jalapenos and tomatoes, still seem to be kinda moist after about 13 hours, so I've still got them in there.

So my question for those who have done this before is, can you dehydrate them too much? Or is it just once the water is gone, it is gone, and a little too long would be fine? Or does leaving them in there too long make them tough?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)