SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Ice Cream slightly OT

John__ShowMe__USA
16 years ago

At a recent gathering of druids chile-heads in Indiana I was again treated to a fantastic offering... habanero/peach ice cream.

This is how Bob and Sue make it & as posted recently on the chile-head mailing list:

Here ya go.

I halve 5-8 orange habaneros, remove the seeds leaving as much of the ribs

intact as I can. I freeze the habs on a cookie sheet. This is to soften them

and break down the cell walls to release juice. While they are still frozen,

I run them through a hand-crank meat grinder using my fine plate. I catch the

ground habs and their juice in a small pan, add a little water and bring them

to a simmer, covered, to further soften them.

Set the peppers aside to cool. Dump a gallon of peach ice cream in a very

large chilled bowl. As it softens around the edges, start stirring and mixing

it. If you just let it soften unmolested, it will loose its air and be

ruined. After a bit, you will have a very thick, but stirable bowl of ice

cream. Stir in your habaneros. I use a one quarter cup per gallon of ice

cream and quickly return it to the container and put it back into the freezer.

The habanero and peach flavors go well together. As long as you are eating

the ice cream, there is little heat. When that last spoonful is gone, you

suddenly want - make that NEED - more of the ice cream.

Hobby Farmer

Bob's (Hobby Farmer) description is right on. Eat a spoonful and WOW! it is hot & deliciously flavorful. Eat another spoonful and the hot pain immediately subsides for a few moments and the flavor dominates. You get the idea. A perfect capsaicin endorphin rush.

I went to local Wal*Mart stuporstore Thurs morning to see if have ice cream maker. Nope... seasonal item now & only carried Rival brand anyways. Bought 1/2 (aprox) gal Bryer's "All Natural" peach ice cream.

A good CA chile-head friend gifted me with aprox 3 lbs manzano hot peppers early this week. Species C. pubescens peppers are my favs and have grown over 40 varieties. Thick fleshed and have a vanilloid in addition to capsaicin that causes pain receptors in some people to say WOW! (and OW!)

So here goes..... Hot Ice Cream

I prechilled 12 and 16 oz freezer jars until needed so the small amt of blended pods and ice cream would quickly refreeze and not lose all the air.

Peeling the manzanos proved to be unnecessary even though I tried and failed. The skin disappeared in the blender. Set the blender on Low and then used lowest speed setting (whip/grate). Throw pods in first and then a couple small spoonfuls of ice cream. Blend and keep adding small amts of ice cream until have abt 12-14 oz. When ice cream just starts to spin like a whirlpool it's time to quickly transfer to chilled jars and back into the freezer to freeze solid. Doesn't take long at all to be rock solid again.

I made a jar each of Golden Hab, Bhut Jolokia and the manzanos.

Now I'm thinking about getting an ice cream machine. Read some reviews and know not to get Rival brand that W*M sells.

JohnT

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting