SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

Fig jam in larger quantities

cabrita
13 years ago

I have been drying my figs but found myself with a good amount that could not fit into the dryer. I searched for fig jam and found only recipes that required pectin, and also all recipes I found suggested no more than 5 cup batches!

This was not very useful to me. Also, I thought the amount of sugar suggested was ridiculous. In any case, we jamed two batches and we are very happy with the outcome, so I am posting it here in case someone else finds themselves with lots of figs.

Fig Jam - Batch # 1

5 quarts washed figs, cut into quarters.

1 cup lemon juice

8 cups sugar

dash salt (like 1 tsp).

Cook all together until liquid is about 80% of original volume. Using a candy thermometer, the temperature range was just below the candy temperature.

This was jarred in 1/2 pints (19 1/2 pint jars) and processed by BWB for 10 minutes.

Here the fig pieces are distinct and there is a heavy syrup holding them together. The flavor was out of this world. After I opened the first jar and DH tasted it he said, oh, you could play with the spice mix. What spice mix? He is right though, it tastes like there are spices in there, and it is very sweet. The color is a wonderful gold.

Fig Jam - Batch #2

For this batch we had even more figs, and they were even sweeter. This is why we used a lesser percentage of sugar (1 cup per quart figs seemed about right).

10 quarts washed figs, chopped into 8ths.

1 cup lemon juice

1 cup lime juice

10 cups sugar

2 tsp salt.

We cooked this and evaporated 25% of the original liquid. This made 12 pints and 5 half pints.

The color was just a hint darker, still very pretty. The jam was a lot more like 'jam', very spreadable and so thick that I think pectin would have ruined it. Absolutely delicious.

The funny thing about this is that fig jam never had so much of an appeal to me. I made it because they would have gone bad otherwise (freezers are full). DH says he loves it even more than loquat preserves (good things since at this house we have figs but no loquats).

Comments (12)